Chapter 9 - One on the Inside

Day three came sooner than he thought it would. The food was delicious, the bed was comfortable, and ultimately, it was a nice vacation besides the looming threat of a backstabbing villain hiding somewhere nearby. This was also the last day he was able to stay. With his blue attire on, he left from his room and sought out the final of the Three.

They were never hard to find, as they didn't tread far from Eldrian at any given time. However, it was only Huanca in the garden that morning, probably because they knew he was the last. The hairless man garbed in red turned to him as he approached and smiled warmly.

"Good morning, Eldrian."

"Hey, Huanca."

"Have you learned anything yet of our dilemma?"

"A little bit. I'm still not sure what's going on, but maybe you can help."

"If I am able to help, I will certainly try," he said as he waved his hand away. "Let us speak deeper into the garden."

He nodded in agreement and they walked along the path. The two of them made their way across the grass, and to a more secluded area where a wooden bench was set. Both of them sat down. It was quiet there. The rest of the citizens were either elsewhere in the garden or back at their homes.

"I have something to admit, Eldrian. I am unable to contain it any longer. With these dire circumstances, we may all soon fall, so secrets are irrelevant. I have feelings for somebody, although I am disallowed to do as such. It has become an obstacle in my way as one of the Three."

"It's Pachama, isn't it?"

He hung his head. "Is it that obvious? I want only the protection of my people. I always have. We joined together as the Three countless years ago to maintain the lifespan of the Inca Empire. Over that time, we've split apart several times. Each of us handled situations around the world. It was only over the last decade that we've been able to rest and become close once again. However, that proved to be bad. I had forgotten how beautiful she was."

"How does she feel about this?"

"She... does care for me, truly."

"And how do you know?"

Before Eldrian could speak more on the matter, a furious shout came from behind them both. There was a man, storming from the bushes. As he arose his body shimmered into visibility. Not only was he hiding, but a magical spell had cloaked his body. The man was red in the face, but his clothing was blue.

"I knew you had feelings for Pachama!" blurted Urco. "And I bet you were behind all of this. You'd do anything for her, right? Even if it was something terrible."

Huanca stood. "When have you ever spoken like this? We used to be friends. And I see how she looks at you. It is obvious that she has feelings for you."

"And you resent me for her choice?"

"I resent you because I feel as if I am no longer able to trust you, Urco!"

Eldrian, feeling rather awkward around the argument, stood and took a step back. He waited for the worst. With his own hands, he prepared for the need to cast a spell.

"Just tell me the truth, Huanca. Did you sell us out?" the blue man asked as he rose both his hands up in front of himself.

"No! Did you sell us out, Urco?" he retorted as he mimicked the gesture with his own body.

It was Huanca that was first to act. His sleeves wavered through the air in a melodic dance of gestures. It was quick, however, and obviously practised. From his palm, an elongated dragon made of roaring flames fired out towards the other man.