Chapter 47 - Don't Stop Believin'

Eldrian stepped up beside the girl kneeling on the ground, and he took a long gaze over the carved stone chamber his portal door brought him into. Before him were Alumir and Barston, but they didn't catch his attention for long. He looked down towards Deena instead.

"I know about Zayna. How you helped her," he spoke.

Deena turned away. "Then why did you come? I did something bad, and I left everybody with no explanation. Nobody should trust me," she whispered.

"You might have messed up, but that doesn't matter. Friends don't stop being friends because of a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes. And if you really are just evil, I sure as hell ain't leaving it at that without hearing it for myself."

The witch slid her phone away and pulled herself up into a sitting position. She wiped tears from her face, and exhaled a stuttering breath before momentarily pausing. Eventually she shot a ruby glare upwards to the wizard.

"Your curiosity is going to get you killed," she muttered.

"A lack of curiosity is going to kill my dream."

"Like I said!" Alumir interrupted. "It doesn't matter who you call here. We're on a sworn duty to our father to keep you away from those doors. You're not to set foot deeper into this lair."

Barston nodded in agreement.

"What's in here that you want so badly?" asked Eldrian.

"It's about my mother," Deena muttered. "I need to know the truth about her. If she really did hate me."

Alumir rubbed his gloved hands together, stretched his neck, and stood ready between them and the grand doors behind him. His eyes turned briefly to his brother, but from then on, remained locked on his opponents. Hardly a hint of injury shown on his demeanour despite the earlier feud. His skin was still smooth but pale, and his hair somehow remained perfect despite its length.

"Let me guess," he started. "Eldrian is once again going to try to be Deedee's little white knight. You're going to swoop in and save her, like a super hero. Don't wound her pride anymore than she's already suffered by her defeat. All you're going to do is embarrass yourself. You might think yourself to be great, just because you got the jump on me last time we met, but the insanity of attacking your own voodoo doll won't save you this time."

Eldrian looked to her. He knelt down, and took hold of her arm in order to heave her back up to her feet. Her knees wobbled, but after a moment, she was able to once more pull into a stable stance. She took a deep breath.

"You're insane," Eldrian stated.

"What?" Alumir replied sharply. "What does that supposed to mean?"

"You'd have to be, to assume I'd do something as stupid as that. I'm not here to save Deena. Of course not. Deena and I are going to kick your ass together."

Alumir nearly laughed, but he witnessed an intensity too fierce for him to ignore. He expected his sister to refuse such an offer, but instead, she was staring directly at him with an obvious intent to fight. Both of them were ready. They didn't even need to discuss.

"Deedee. If you continue this, you'll have gone too far. You won't be our sister anymore," Alumir snarled. "One more warning. Go back home, and stop all of this. Go back to your miserable friends."

Eldrian pointed a finger towards him, and he glared. "I'm going to do to your entire body what I did to your hand."

"That's it!" Alumir shouted.

Like a starting pistol was fired, things escalated immediately into a chaotic wizard battle—two against two. Eldrian immediately threw his hands forward to summon forth the Staff of Lightning as his first move, but this time, his conjuring failed.