Chapter 23 - Twisted

Renatta no longer reflected the image of a deadly assassin. Instead, she wore fine red clothes, and not unlike in the way of a belly dancer. Her footwear slipped on, like flats, and in the end, Eldrian thought she resembled moreso a genie, but he also assumed if genies were real, they wouldn't be armed with blades.

"I barely remember," she whispered. "But I do have fleeting memories of a building. A small house, at the border of the city. It was old, worn, and next thing I knew, everything was spinning and twisting. I heard a voice in my head, and snickering, and here I am. I am sorry I do not remember more. I can take you to the place, though, at the very least. And then we can burn him up!"

She flexed her arm, and upon the edge of her knuckles sprouted a roaring fire. Eldrian winced back a step or two after feeling the wave of warmth come over his skin.

"Careful with that," he muttered.

"Oops. Sorry," she said in response, snuffing out the flame.

Eldrian looked between the two ladies and crossed his arms. His visage, usually more cheerful, seemed distance and one could see the gears turning behind his eyes. Finally he spoke up.

"We should go soon. Very soon. And it'll just be us three. Dav and Kev are great, but we can't bring an army around wherever we go, for multiple reasons. It's still dark outside. I admit I don't really know what to expect from this mystery man, but his shtick seems to be controlling people's minds, and that makes me angry. But maybe that's all he can do."

Eldrian reached for the knob of a door that was certainly never there before. It was less impressive now, with only other wizards in the room, but Renatta had a strange, child-like wonder on her face. It wasn't to the portal door appearing, however, as hardly a wizard is without such a spell, but something else. She had seen such a thing, but it was only ever her own.

"I have only ever met one other wizard before," she said softly. "Thank you, Eldrian, for being so quick to give me a second chance. I do not know what I would have done otherwise. Maybe, go back to the man alone, and end up in the same place again."

"Don't worry about it. And when we go back, it'll be together, and we'll make sure he doesn't mind whammy you a second time," replied Eldrian as he creaked the door ajar.

***

It was only the ladies together now—both Deena and Renatta—and their plans had begun. The two of them proceeded towards the old, run-down house she mentioned previously, and both of them hoped her memory served them well. The windows were boarded and the yard was nothing more than dirt and rocks, so certainly something shady was occurring within.

The sun would rise in a few hours. But at that moment, it was a dead, silent night of naught but a frigid breeze to keep them focused. A thin layer of snow crunched beneath their shoes, but thus far, it was hardly more than a layer of frost, and they were glad for that.

"How are you not cold wearing that?" asked Deena quietly as they scoped out the structure from afar.

"What do you mean?" responded Renatta with a perplexed expression.

"Don't you want a coat?"

"I am fine. Thank you very much, though. I thought you did not like me."

"I just don't want you getting frostbite on your everything."

"Do not worry about me, Deena. I am heated and ready for battle!"

The witch let out a sigh of defeat.

A middle-aged woman made her way down the street. Deena bumped Renatta's side, and a moment after giggling, she realised the witch wasn't trying to tickle her but instead to warn her of a passing stranger. They stood and acted normally to wait for them to pass by before making their move on the house.