Chapter 81 - Pain

The wildness was frigid far north in Alberta, near the eastern border. Zayna didn't seem to mind despite her attire. Daveon, Renatta, Deena, and Arlandria followed behind her garbed in goats and scarves as they delved deeper between the trees. There were hardly even the sounds of animals around them as they neared a dark cave entrance within the rocky hills.

"This is it," Zayna explained. "Anzu and the others. We were all staying here. She called us Sagitta Malum."

"So she probably wants a lot more than we've seen already, if she's given her people a name," said Daveon.

"She never said exactly what she wanted in the end, but it seemed that way, yes. Now be on guard. There's no telling who's going to be in here. But if she is, we'll make her pay for this."

Meanwhile, Deena stared at her phone. She had let Lucy know everything, and was praying silently for something to aid them in finding Eldrian. Anything. Nothing came, and she knew it wouldn't happen so easily—not like a certain demon showing up on their doorstep. There was a feeling of helplessness, but also a cheering. She needed to believe in Eldrian and Kevin, as it may have been up to them.

The demon stepped into the dark, foreboding cavern. Her dark flesh nearly masked her from view in the shadows, but Arlandria seemed to have no issue with her sight. Deena, Daveon, and Renatta all performed a spell that placed a green hue over their eyes, and allowed them to see more proficiently.

Followed by the glow there was still also a disdain in Deena's eyes as she watched the demon's behind. Rather, she watched her from behind. Or both.

The weaving tunnel led soon into an expanse that seemed to be empty. The group scoped it out. There was nay a noise nor was there movement within. That is, until they noticed what they thought was a shadow shift slightly, and a figure rose to their height by the opposing wall.

It looked like a spirit, and one of death. It held a scythe in its hand, and upon closer inspection, it was something scrawny garbed in a robe. The flesh on its body was nearly gone, however, leaving behind a skeletal, terrifying visage.

"Skello. You're here," said Zayna. "Where is Anzu?"

The rest looked at one another. "She said Skello," Deena responded. "That's the one Eldrian mentioned. Did anyone see him causing chaos with the rest?"

Daveon shook his head. "All I saw were Rend and the golem-guy. But it's a big city."

The half-dead man stared with non-existent eyes across the crowd that gathered. He shook his head, and grumbled out with a rotten voice. "Not here. And no, I didn't do much. They just needed a portal... and I can do that. Most of what she says doesn't interest me."

"What does she want?" Anzu demanded an answer.

He shrugged. "I don't know. She went with Rend to find the others and to talk to someone. Something about a deal. I guess someone else will be making a deal with the darkness, but I hope when they stare into the abyss, it doesn't stare back."

"Talk sense!" Renatta shouted. "Our friends are gone because of you demons."

"I'm not a demon. I think. Actually, maybe I am. No, I don't think it was her intention to do anything involving whoever you guys are. Didn't really mention anything to do with that. And if you're here, that means you went far to stop her. Clearly, she didn't expect that."

"You're a warlock," Daveon spoke up. He had a face of disgust upon him. His friends knew why. There was a strange aura between him and Skello, with one face pristine and the other nearly missing. One worked with demons, while the other despised them.