Chapter 27 - The Last Victim

Kevin lunged once again at the spellbreaker, crashing the blue blade of Drodias against her magic shield. The collision sent out a burning flash of sparks down the line of impact, and her forward push sent him back like before. And when Eldrian tried another spell, she was quick enough to break it to pieces.

The two knew they needed a plan. A simple swing would always be blocked, and spells would be countered as long as she was focused—and she seemed to be quite adept at such.

"Your magic is useless," Asta declared.

"So I cast sword!" shouted Kevin as he began another assault of slashes.

His strikes were blocked by her shield, but also parried by a few swings of her mace. He had been practising, but she was older than him, and had clearly been doing this much longer than him. But he tried nonetheless. Kevin didn't want to fail his friends despite his lack of actual magic ability.

"You're quick with that blade, and it's clearly special, but it won't be enough," said Asta rather calmly even in the midst of combat.

Her stoic expression broke. She didn't realize, as Eldrian had not been casting spells, but the wizard instead had jumped up behind her to wrap his arms around her body.

"I cast grapple!" shouted Eldrian.

"What the hell are you doing?" Asta snarled. "Are you just messing with me? Get off—Ah!"

Barely able to stop Kevin's strike, she was left defenseless against a sweeping leg from Kevin. She fell under the weight of her own body and crashed against her stomach while Eldrian released her. This let the wizard spray forwards a breath of flames from his palm.

Asta rolled over and halted the simple spell quickly enough with her shield to only be lightly toasted. With impressive speed, she leapt up and drove her head into his stomach, sending him back, gasping for air. She repositioned herself, making certain she could see both of them in her peripheral vision.

"Guess I don't need magic," whispered Eldrian as he gripped his belly.

"You're both pissing me off." Asta ground together her teeth. "I'm not letting your friends come help you. You've messed with me long enough. I'm getting impatient."

Eldrian looked to Kevin, and then to her. He smiled. Backing up, he looked as of he was ready to cast a spell, though he did know nothing would come from this. For whatever reason, he did so anyway, perhaps because there was no other option.

She charged him and crashed through the spell as if she was leaping through a window to take the wizard down, but she was observant, especially since their little trick from before. She noticed Kevin's sneak attack.

"Summon sword, Drodias!" screamed Kevin just as Asta turned around.

A metal object, like some sort of shuriken, was hurled at her, and it clipped off the top of her shield, as she expected a sword instead. Thankfully, it didn't hit her anyway. Time slowed. She looked to the object moving up from the top of her shield and over her shoulder, and in only a split second, she realised what it was—far too late. It was the ring of Kevin's weapon, but only the ring.

That was only for that moment, however. The ring flashed a bright white as grew into the sword Drodias as it usually does. The blade extended around, and sliced deep into her shoulder before going off to stick into the ground near the house. Blood sprayed out from the wound.

Eldrian then thrust both of his palms into her back, and she burst into an explosion of electricity. Flashes of light came from her body as she trembled. It only shocked her for a moment, but from both attacks, she fell to her knees.