Chapter 38 - How the Elf Stole Christmas

A bead of sweat stopped at Kevin's right brow. In that moment, he was unable to move a single part of his body. He just stood there, staring off into space, with the phone gripped in his hand. Was this what it was like when Ron kidnapped him a few weeks back? This was different. Kevin knew he was no wizard, and this time, it was Eldrian in danger.

"We need to do something," muttered Kevin.

Arlandria pursed her lips. "I agree, but Tyreth is incredibly dangerous."

"So how do you know this guy?"

"He's from my world."

"An elf?"

She nodded. "And he's the reason I'm on Earth to begin with. He failed to kill me."

"Why is he trying to kill you?" Kevin gasped, nearly dropping his phone to the ground.

"He didn't agree with much of our people. I... didn't listen to my father, and I ended up nearly perishing because of it. I should have left things alone. I realize that now. When he tried to kill me, I had hoped to disappear, and eventually make my way back home, but Tyreth meant to come here all along. His pride for our people has driven him mad."

"We need to know what to expect. You're our resident elf expert, so whatever you can tell me, please do," Kevin said. "Because we need a plan, and we need it fast. And you know what? I'm going to call everybody. Deena, Daveon, Renatta. I'm going to contact them while you tell me everything, because this is what Eldrian would do!"

Arlandria slouched in her seat. Her fingers played off one another over her lap, and after a deeply long exhale, she nodded her head in agreement. As if it physically pained her, she brought a direct glance to Kevin and opened her lips to begin a tale.

***

I was a little girl when my mother passed away, so for much of my life, it was my father and I that supported one another. He worked as a physician, and still does in fact, so he taught me what he knew to carry on the family's talents. But that's not a story we have time to tell right now. You want to know about Tyreth, and why he tried to slay me.

The day, I remember, was even more beautiful than usual. The Silver Stars were out and bright, that is our world's version of your Sun, and it caused the marble and golden structures to sparkle and glow. The grass was lush and the sky was a healthy violet. I had just finished being lectured by my father, as I was insistent on wishing to do more than remain most often sealed away in our home. I understand know that he only cared for my safety.

Everybody knows Tyreth. He would, and perhaps still does, go on about the strength of elves and their rightful place is the universe, and the fact that a few of our artifacts have made their way to Earth infuriates him. He wanted nothing more than to go there and force them back, but we have strict rules about interfering with other worlds. Hardly an elf cares, unlike demons, but the ones that do are kept away from Earth for the well-being of our people. We don't bother others, we aren't bothered ourselves.

But Tyreth is a radical. He found a way out. I don't know how, but he set up a gateway to Earth in his home, and worst of all, I discovered it. I was nosey, and suspicious of him, and it got the best of me. That's not to mention how horrible of a man he was to my father, but that's a story for another time, perhaps after we rescue Eldrian.

That day, I saw strange figures in his home, and heard voices. I hardly remember more than simply seeing that they clearly weren't elves.

I wasn't sure what to do, so I slouched to the ground and rest my back against the wall beneath the window. I hesitated for some time, and in my inexperience, I didn't even hear the window open up. Hands reached down and grabbed me by my neck and shoulders, and before I knew it, I was heaved through and thrown to the ground.