Chapter 48 - Streetlight People

Seven heads devoid of light coiled up from a misty shroud around Alumir's feet. He didn't spare a single moment, so each of the heads snapped closed shadowy jaws as they made their way to their prey. Each appendage loomed over them, blocking the torchlight from above. They crashed down where Eldrian and Deena stood, but an instant before, the two of them blinked a few meters backwards to dodge the attack and stand before the entrance.

Taking a firm stance, Deena raised a single hand up above her, and faced her brother with a determined stare. A plume of black appeared above said hand, and in a moment, it swirled into a ball of chaotic power. She tossed it towards the multitude of heads with all of her strength. Shadow Ball!

Eldrian acted at the same time as the witch beside him. He brought two fingers up on both his hands, and as sparks appeared above them, he brought his hands around in circles before leading them to his side. The electric power grew, and when he hurled it forwards, it fired off in a streak. Lightning Lance!

Both of the attacks collided with Alumir's Black Hydra. Three of the heads burst into smoke, though the four remaining seemed unaffected, and just as determined to devour them whole.

Alumir was on the move, and one of the heads stretched out in response to the barrage to crash down between the two. They dodged away from one another, but it left a hefty crater behind in its wake.

Between Deena's hands, a star of ice formed. It flickered with the light of the cavern's torches, but it also began to grow. She glared forwards at her foe, but her vision was soon blocked by two heads soaring down from above like two hungry falcons, and her spell wasn't complete. It felt as if was too late, but just then, another image appeared above her.

Eldrian hovered not far above her head, with both of his hands extended. The heads crashed against his ward, and the collision forced air from his lungs, but he managed to block it nonetheless. He flew off to the side the second Deena's somatic ritual was complete.

The ice had manifested into a large, pointed object, and it fired from her hands like a bullet. It harpooned through both of the heads, causing them to explode into a pitch black mist, and the spell didn't stop there. It continued right over Alumir's shoulder to stick into the wall behind him. Ice Spear!

"I've never seen him use magic this strong," muttered Deena.

"This is my Black Hydra!" Alumir boasted. "I'm disappointed in you. Everybody knows what hydras are known for in literature. I doubt I have to tell either of you."

The two remaining heads retreated to his side. Suddenly, a burst of power came from his person, and several more heads came forth like a tidal wave of shadow. It was far over seven.

"We need to hit him." said Eldrian.

"Easier said than done." Deena replied.

"There's one fatal weakness to this spell. I just need you to be ready to shoot him down."

Another head soared down from above Eldrian with its mouth agape. Nightmarish fangs as dark as twilight were barely visible before the mouth of the same shade. Instead of dodging, Eldrian leapt forwards, and he drove forward his palm to collide with its nose for the ultimate snoot boop. Push!

Ripples of energy shook the head until it dissolved into shadows. But after that, three more heads loomed above him, ready to strike.

"Ready it!" Eldrian shouted.

Deena clenched her teeth nervously, but once again readied her Ice Spear, though she wasn't completely certain what she was supposed to be aiming at. She looked over, and saw Eldrian drop to his knees, and rest his palms against the cold, stone floor.