Chapter 11 - Ordinary Family Dinner

"Really? You can't come? That's a bummer." Eldrian slid his hands inside the pockets of his trousers and looked to the sidewalk between his feet.

He and Eldrian were standing outside the door of a fast food restaurant. Upon the large sign above the building were two letters separated by an ampersand, and the wafting stench of delicious greasy burgers filled the air around them. Was it appetizing? Nobody really knew for certain. The smell made them feel both hungry and full of shame at the same time.

Winter was coming, but the streets were still bustling with people going about their business. Loud noises came from the speeding of cars down the street, and the muttering of pedestrians that made their way down the sidewalk and past the two of them. It was a somber time. Leaves were nearly gone from the trees to await the oncoming snow and frigid temperatures. Soon it would be time to bring out the hefty jackets. It would be a long while before the joys of bathing suits returned.

"You said it was tomorrow, right? You know I'd come if I could," Kevin said back.

"Yeah. Deena texted me the deets this morning."

"Deets?"

"Details. Deets."

"Nobody calls them that."

"I do!"

"Anyway, Eldrian. I'm sorry. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday and my parents and I are going out to dinner to celebrate. I can't skip out on my dad, you know? As much as I'd like to go to dinner with a family of sorcerers, I'm afraid I can't make it."

The wizard nodded. "That's fair. We only just met her anyway. The strange part is how cold she acts, but how desperately she requested us to join her. She must really feel uncomfortable around her brothers. She helped us before. I owe her my presence at least. And plus... I get free food. Speaking of food, I hope you enjoy your dinner too, Kev. Have fun tomorrow. I don't really know what to expect from mine. I hope I don't get turned into a newt."

"Thanks, and good luck. Wait. Can witches actually do that?" Kevin laughed nervously.

Eldrian pushed open the shop doors. "Hey. Let's go inside already. I'm starving."

"Answer my question!"

***

It was December 5th. Though it was technically not yet the time of winter, it might as well have been, especially in Alberta. Snow was finally making its first imprint on the land, covering the ground with a soft blanket layer—air chilled like the inside of a deep freeze. It was impossible to ignore, and not just because of the temperature. Christmas decorations were already appearing on people's homes. It was the season of families. Cousins, aunts, brothers, sisters, and more, all come together to celebrate the holidays, for better or for worse.

Kevin wasn't there for Christmas. It was his father's birthday. Though only him, his mother, and his father were present for dinner, it was peaceful that way. The three of them sat around the designated table within the warmth of the restaurant.

"Happy birthday!" Kevin and his mom shouted as his dad opened a gift.

The present was addressed from his wife. Inside was a sweater, some socks, and everything else children hate receiving but become wonderful gifts once one's an adult. He smiled as he thanked them both. Next, however, was Kevin, and he offered out his own gift.

"I hope you like it, dad," Kevin said, worried. "I know you made something like this for grandpa, and I thought I'd try to make you proud by carrying on a tradition, or something like that. You know what I mean? I'm not that great at woodworking yet. Oh, uh. Sorry. I'll let you open it."