Chapter 22 - Prison Unbreak

Enough was enough. It was time for Eldrian to throw caution aside—even if he often did that already—and work the offensive to stop this unknown force from threatening not only his life but that of his friends'. Therefore, he pitched an idea to Deena as they sat together on the sofa of her living room. It was one that not only could lead to trouble, but could also lead them to answers, or at the very least, it could unravel the mystery of the spiral eyes.

"So this is the plan," Eldrian started. "We travel to the police station at midnight tonight. See, I know for a fact that the old man I ran into before is still being kept in there, as they're a little confused about his condition still. We need to act quickly. It'll be easy for us to get inside, and when we are, we figure out what happened to him."

"You want to use our magic to sneak into a jail?" Deena asked in response.

"Yes. It'll be a snap. In, out, and nobody will find out. We aren't going to break him out. We're going to break ourselves in... and then back out. It isn't like any laws will be broken. You know, besides the trespassing part."

"We don't exactly have a better plan, I suppose. And it could lead us to that assassin too. She has some explaining to do."

"You're still mad about that?"

"I thought you would be." She crossed her arms, and shifted her ruby gaze away. "Whatever. I'm just saying, she's involved."

"We'll find her. Don't worry about me in the meantime."

"I didn't say I was worried about you, did I?"

"I saw it. In those spooky eyes."

"Is it too late to decline going along with this plan?" Deena muttered.

"If you don't want to..."

"I'll go. You're right about it being easy. And this whole thing has me upset. What time is it now?"

"Just getting to eight o'clock."

"I'll meet you there."

Eldrian gave a nod of his head, and until then, he departed and waited.

Luckily, time passed quickly by, and there the wizard lurked in the shadow of a neighbouring building with an opened blue robe trimmed with silver. The hood was pulled over his head, casting a censoring blackness over his face, but a shimmer of his pale blue eyes shown as he glanced up to the noise of Deena approaching.

She had a black coat, a skirt of the same, while her legs were covered by striped leggings. Her hair was done up into hoops, and said style was together by over-sized ribbons. She made her way up to stand beside him, quietly, and she turned her head up to meet his eyes.

It wasn't the air that brought a chill down his spine. Eldrian kept feeling as if someone was watching him, ever since all of this started, which was likely a cautious thing to ponder given the circumstance. Three criminals, all given special abilities, were sent after them by a single woman, and then a series zombified innocents were being moved at someone's leisure, presumably. Fortunately, through the wall up ahead, there was an older man affected by a curse, and with their wizardly abilities, they should do well finding something to go on.

"Are you ready to do this?" asked Eldrian.

Deena nodded. "Yes. Let's go quickly."

As if they were never there in the first place, the two wizards vanished from sight and appeared somewhere new. It was through the small window of the cell that they blinked. To anyone, it would have seemed as if the latter had been the only truth—that they were inside the police station alone with only the spiral-eyed man.