Chapter 41 - Demon Danger, Double D

It had been a couple days since the Christmas fiasco with Tyreth and Noah, and despite the fact that their lives may have become much more complicated due to it all, Eldrian decided to go about his business as he always did. He wasn't one to dwell on the past, or sit still for long. So he made his way down the streets garbed in regular attire. Not a person who walked by knew of his worries—magic, demons, elves. He was used to this, however, as that was the way for a wizard.

Lucy gave him important information on the potential whereabouts of a runaway demon, right there in Edmonton. She was called Zayna. Apparently, her entrance to Earth was sloppy enough to allow both Lucy and Eldrian to find her path rather quickly. He knew of course that demons were cunning, so he kept a keen eye open as he neared the building that possible housed the target, but he swore he felt eyes upon him.

Demons normally tried to blend in to humanity. Therefore, he felt no reason not to simply knock on the front door of the small home. They'd have no reason to believe he was anything but a neighbour, or maybe a scout selling cookies.

The house was quaint and baby blue. It was far from the business of downtown. He had travelled out into a far residential area, which would make sense, if said demon wanted to lay low. The curtains were shut on every window, and beside the door's address was the name, "The Macleans".

Knock. Knock. Kno—The door creaked upon as if on its own with the third tap of his knuckle. He slowly retreated his hand to his side, and glared suspiciously through the frame, and into an empty living room. There was no sound of a television, of people talking, or even of anybody walking to greet his ears upon inspection, but he needed to explore further. Eldrian took a careful step inside, and shut the door behind him.

"Hello?" he called out. "Your door fell open when I knocked. I just thought I'd let you know. This may be Canada, but there's still thieves around here."

There was no answer. He crept in deeper, making his way around the sofa resting opposite of a television hanging from the wall. There was a fancy silver ornament on the coffee table of birds, and it rested on a stand that allowed the top to rotate, causing it to look as if the birds were flying in circles. It did this slowly as he passed by. Eldrian swallowed. He had done things like this many times, but the wait was always uncomfortably intense. A demon could be anything. Zayna could be a powerful, disfigured abomination with sixteen mouths each with teeth like a worm's. She could shoot fire from her eyes, and acid from her mouth. For all he knew, she could be there around him, but he had to trust that his magic eyes were trained enough to avoid something like that.

"Is somebody there?" came a feminine voice.

Eldrian stopped. He took a deep breath, and readied his hands and mind for anything that may come his way—for any spell, from blinking away, to bathing the foe in flames.

"Yes. Sorry. Like I said, your door just fell open when I knocked. Is everything all right?" he replied.

"That's so nice of you," the voice said. "I wish more people were that kind-hearted. The world is filled with cruel, unforgiving people."

"It depends where you look, I guess."

He heard giggling. It didn't seem manically evil. It was warm, and joyful.

"Can I get you anything?"

"Maybe just some water."

He continued to focus where the voice was coming from. Up ahead seemed to be the kitchen, and upon his request, he heard the water start running, and a glass be handled on the counter. The possible demon was about to come his way, and he knew he needed to be ready to battle in the worst case scenario.