Chapter 49 - Looming Shadow

There was an eerie silence around Deena and Eldrian after the two brothers departed. It was just them, an empty chamber, and a grand set of doors ahead of them. This was something Deena had been looking forward to ever since she learned of its existence—her mother's secret hideout. Although she's long since passed on, secrets may lie within.

Her gloved hand swept over the chilling metal front. It looked as if it would take the strength of many men to move such hefty doors, but when she pushed forward, the crack between them widened. Creaking echoed almost deafeningly off the walls, and draft beckoned them inside.

"What should we expect to find in here?" Eldrian asked.

"I'm not sure. For years, my father has tried to convince me that my mother wished me away from family dealings, and I've never known why. Perhaps I don't care the reason. But if it isn't true, I need to prove it. I just want to know what my mother truly felt," replied Deena.

A staircase presented itself through the opening, so the two began descending into the unknown. It was still lit by flickering, magic flames along the walls, but they did little for the frigid air. Eldrian turned to her as they neared the bottom.

"Hold on. Something doesn't make sense," he said.

"What do you mean?"

"If your brothers didn't want you finding something here, why didn't they just destroy it? If it was a journal or something, they could have burned it."

They peered into the chamber, which was smaller by comparison, but it was still expansive enough to hold a life-sized statue of a woman in the center. Shelves, tables, seats, and other remnants of what was once a study littered the room in disarray, without a book to be seen.

"Maybe they did," Deena said. "But then why try to stop me?"

"That means there's something in here they couldn't get rid of. Something that couldn't destroy, and maybe, something they didn't understand."

"My mother was always clever."

Deena's eyes trailed up the statue. Her mind was lost for an incredibly long moment, as the figure the statue was meant to represent was her mother. It was partially worn, but it was immediately recognizable to her. It took all of her strength not to sob. She stared up at her mother, and took a deep breath.

"Maybe there's a secret door somewhere. I'll have a look around," Eldrian suggested.

The witch was far too focused to reply. She stepped forward, removed her glove, and gently brought her hand down the side of the stone sculpture. But she suddenly gasped as she felt something take hold of her head.

Eldrian spun around with his hand outwards. "What is it?"

She wasn't struggling, however. Her red eyes gazed up to the statue's face in disbelief, as it was the statue's hand upon her head, though not in an aggressive manner. It stroked her hair, and with a rumbling of stone, the entire body began to move. It brought Deena into an embrace.

"Mother?" Deena asked quietly.

"No," it spoke it a soothing voice. "I'm sorry, my dear. I am no longer a part of this world. I've enchanted this piece of stone to carry on a message."

"You're not mother?"

"I'm only a part. My dear Deena. I need you to listen. I have but a single thing I must tell before I'm able to rest peacefully."

"Y-Yes. I'm listening."

She felt the cold touch of the hand against her cheek, but to her, it felt warm. It was the comforting touch one could only receive from one's mother. It had no eyes, but she could still see exactly how her mother looked all those years ago.