Chapter 39 - The Moose

The fight had commenced a few minutes prior. They were already exhausting themselves, but given that it was still a four against two, the heroes didn't worry too much. Kevin's Drodias and Aegis of Light were out, and the three wizards were conjuring spells.

"Where's Eldrian?" shouted Kevin.

"Not here," Poppet said with a snicker. "Not even close."

"Then why are you fighting us?"

"Just following orders. No hard feelings, right?"

Alchia fired a tiny version of her acid arrow from a single palm and yelled, "Yep! We're just doing what he said. All we gotta do is keep you busy for some reason."

"Dang it," muttered Daveon. "What do we do? Finish them?"

Suddenly, the two "sisters" looked at one another, and both of them nodded. Then, Alchia rolled her eyes and groaned reluctantly. Whatever they were planning, the taller one didn't seem overly pleased. She knelt down where she stood and dug out a briefcase from the snow.

"What's she doing over there?" Kevin asked.

Alchia popped it open, and from inside, she pulled a pair of handcuffs out and scowled at them. They seemed to make her uncomfortable. Then, Poppet slapped her hands against her back, and took a stance to face her towards the group.

"Those are..." Deena started. "Don't touch those handcuffs!"

Since Alchia was unable to cast spells while in contact with the metal, Poppet covered her companion in a shrouding, icy mist. It only lasted a moment, however, as the magic propelled Alchia through space to appear instantaneously behind Renatta and Daveon. She spun, and a click was heard as she locked the two of them together by their wrists.

"Hah! I did it!" she shouted from behind.

Renatta spun as well, yanking on Daveon's poor arm. She slapped forwards her hand to send out a flame, but nothing occurred, and she did so repeatedly to no avail.

"They're anti-magic," Deena added. "If a wizard touches them, they can't use spells."

Poppet cheered. "That evens the odds a little, huh?"

"I've had enough," said Deena. "Enough of your annoying little mouth. Renatta, Daveon, try to get yourselves free and stay back. Kevin, keep one of them busy. It's up to us."

Kevin gulped, nodding.

From Poppet's hands came her weaving bands of silvery wires, her Puppet Strings, and they snaked towards the witch. However, she was ready. Deena dragged the back of her hand over her other palm, and as she did, her fingers started to glow with a purple and black energy that crackled to life. She leapt forward, and as she did, she swung across her fingers in a swipe through the strings, and launching out a couple meters in front of her came four gigantic black slices through the air. Shadow Claw!

While those two fought, Kevin did his job. He jumped at Alchia and swiped his sword, but in a blink, Alchia was to his right and a decent distance away. She rolled her eyes.

"You think someone who isn't a wizard can fight me?" Alchia scoffed. "Come on, weirdo. You're just a normal guy. Nothing special."

"Yeah? Well, Deena is over there pushing your friend, so what then? We're stronger than you."

"Even if she does beat Poppet, which I admit is possible, we already did our job. We're keeping you busy, and after all of that, you won't kill us. We'll run away free and get our reward. See what I mean? Your fight is pointless. We already won."