Chapter 15 - Silent but Deadly

He had muscles. His muscles had muscles. At least, that's what it seemed, but Dylan had grown so large under the night's sky that he became only a shadow looming before a canvas of stars. Daveon, Deena, and Kevin stood at the ready. Though, none of them felt ready in the slightest.

"Are we fighting a kaijou now?" shouted Kevin.

"This is bad," stated Deena. "For more reasons than just him. We're causing way too much noise. People are going to end up coming here soon, and then we'll have more than just a monster to deal with. We need to get out of here."

"We can't just let this thing run free in the city. It could kill people! Somehow, we're going to have to stop him."

Deena shook her head. "I can see why you're friends with Eldrian. Then what do we do?"

"We're at the limits of town. If we run, I bet he'll chase us, and we can get him away from here. Then he won't be able to destroy anything, or anyone. It's like the thing you wish people would do in movies so there wouldn't be so much collateral damage!"

The boy began sprinting in the opposite direction, whether he knew his friends would follow him or not. Thankfully they did. All three of them tactically retreated from the battle and towards the vast, flat landscape of Alberta's outskirts.

They felt each and every step Dylan took behind them, as if they really were being chased by a giant gorilla, or radioactive lizard. His giant fist took a scooping swing down towards them, clawing up the soil a mere inches from Deena's feet. She nearly screamed, but she was far too winded. They all were.

"He's catching up!" shouted Daveon. "His legs are far too big to outrun him any more!"

"Then take this," Deena said with a deviousness to her glare.

She turns on her heels and tossed a spell she had been preparing. A sphere of roaring, sparkling void hurled from her grip like a revolving basketball sent to destroy. It blew a hole straight though the giant's stomach.

Flesh and innards burst free from within. Dylan, who was now gripping the vacancy in his gut, roared out, but his blank expression stared daggers down at the group. When his hands moved away, they noticed something else.

Strands of skin and other tissues, even muscle and organs, started to string together like a macabre sewing machine. It only took a moment for the injury to completely disappear. It didn't even leave a mark.

"You hit it, right?" asked Kevin.

Deena growled. "I did. I know I did. Did he heal that quickly?"

The force from Dylan's next attack caught them by surprise, as they were not only too busy inspecting his healing factor, but the night's sky was pitch black without the city's lights. They could barely see. His hand swatted Deena and Kevin like flies, sending them flying across the dirt to land tumbling a distance away.

Next, like a hammer, the giant's fist came down upon Daveon. He leapt and rolled to the right a mere moment before it came crashing to the ground. It shattered the soil and left a visible crater behind its wrath.

"That would have killed me," muttered Daveon. "Guys! Are you all right?" he called to the darkness to no answer. He stood his ground with a look of worry on his face—concern for the others as much as himself.

He had nothing he could think of to help him in this situation. The vines he could manifest wouldn't stand a chance against a target this large. If he became an animal, he'd still be only a fraction of the size. And if he attacked it, the monster would just regenerate. He thought even Deena's hex wouldn't bother something like this. That wasn't a scream of pain earlier. It was one of rage.