Chapter 5 - Naturally Handsome

For one day, they rested. Kevin came back home to his parents, Deena slept in her cavernous home, and Eldrian created a magical cushion beneath him as he slept on the roof of a building. It was surprisingly comfortable. When you're a creative wizard, anything can be a bed. Lucy had bandaged them up and fed them beforehand, and now she and Eldrian were back to bring Kevin and Deena to Lucy's home dimension.

The Demon World was as Eldrian remembered it, though he had been there only a few days prior. Deena, Kevin, Lucy, and him, all started long a path crossing a gaping chasm which dropped into what looked to be a pit without a bottom. The colours of the stone that made up the strange, foreign world ranged from black, to grey, to purple, and to red—some was aflame. The oddest creatures Kevin had seen populated the land and the skies. There were skulls with the wings of a bat, lanky creatures with skin like blackened scales, and more humanoid forms with horns and terrifyingly sharp teeth.

Lucy brought them into a building with walls the colour of fresh peaches. There was a desk with a horned secretary, chairs about, and in all, it looked as if they were entering an evil office building, or just a regular office building—basically the same thing. They went straight through a back door and eventually into an expansive room.

The room had a magic set up Eldrian recognized. It looked to be a method of portal creation, but with one this large, it likely held power to transport people to many different locations.

"I wish I had one of these," he muttered.

Lucy gestured to a large ring decorated in magic glyphs in the center of the room. "We're here! I can open a portal and warp you all to the town Aguas Calientes. It isn't too far from the mountain peak you're meant to investigate. Maybe you can find someone to help you out there."

"They speak mostly Spanish, right? I don't really know any second languages," Eldrian admitted.

"It's a tourist place. People come from all over to visit the ancient Inca citadel. I doubt you'll have trouble finding people who speak English. Sorry, but I don't really have any leads to go on... I don't know that much about your world. I've never heard of a source of magic power there, but I do know the Inca Empire was ancient, so it isn't impossible. Obviously don't go around blabbing about wizardry, though."

"Why are you looking at me, Deena?" Eldrian asked, furling his brow.

Symbols lit up a pale blue as Lucy led them towards the center. She moved a gesturing hand towards it, and with little delay, the three adventurers stood within the middle of the magic ritual.

"And be careful," Lucy added. "I'm rooting for you, Eldrian. Lead your team."

***

Before they knew it, everything was dark. Light came from a hole ahead of them. They were, unfortunately, crammed together in a tight space like sardines in a can. It took quite a bit of awkward wiggling, but they each got free and crawled through the space leading towards the sunlight. They were standing outside of an incredibly wide tree with a hole leading into the trunk.

"She could have warned us of that one," Eldrian said as he wiped bark and dirt from his clothing.

His eyes turned to Deena who transformed her outfit once more. No longer did she look like a black and white striped witch. She now wore a dark red sweater with black pants, and her hair was done up with something new once more—clips of strangely cute black widow spiders.

Eldrian was a bit ahead, peeking between the trees. Seeing what his companion did reminded him that his outfit likely would appear odd when strolling through a quaint Peruvian town. He shifted as well, the same as before. Rings came from his midsection and moved apart, revealing a new outfit behind them. He had a green zip-up hoodie and dark blue trousers.