Chapter 16 - Power of Imagination

Asta Ahlgren was alone now. It was hours later, and Ron was instructed to go a different way, just to be safe. Though her clothing was ordinary, she still carried the gold and white mace that she often does. It seemed incredibly strange. However, it wasn't a blade, so nobody persecuted her. Many likely thought it was part of a cosplay, but not everyone keeps to themselves.

The dim lights of Alberta's chilly streets lit a figure up ahead. It was just Asta and the stranger. This part of town was deserted, and the day was fading away.

It was a man—a young man. His nose was tinted red, showing that he had likely been drinking. The hair on his head and face weren't groomed, and frankly, he didn't smell all that nice either. He stumbled up to Asta and smiled strangely.

"Heya, cutie," he said before he hiccuped.

"Go away."

"Very feisty." He laughed. "What is that you have there? Oh. A mace. Do you roleplay or something? That's kinda weird, but I'm into anything if you are."

She said nothing more, and simply kept walking.

"Hey," he snapped. "Don't walk away from me."

His hand grabbed Asta's shoulder, and it was the last thing he remembered. She spun around and drove a fist into his nose, shattering the cartilage into tiny pieces. She then grabbed his head, and crushed his forehead against her knee, dropping him to the ground in merely a few seconds. Rubbing her fist, she continued on her way.

She withdrew a key and unlocked the door of her safe house. It was ordinary is almost every way, drawing no attention towards it compared to any of the homes adjacent. This was where she fed the Elixir of Strength to Ron, Dylan, Xeno, and their now-deceased leader.

The bald one was in the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" Asta asked.

"Cookin' eggs."

"That's not what I meant. Don't smoke in here."

Ron grunted and put his cigar out. Eventually the stench of smoke was overtaken by the aroma of freshly cooked eggs. He sizzled them in a pan over the oven's element.

"Why'd ya help us try to get revenge?"

"I don't need you to understand. I just believe magic has no place on this world. It caused more problems than anything should. No single person should have the potential of having god-like powers. Controlling reality with their mind. Their creativity. Wizards are living weapons."

"Ya keep talkin' about the government comin' to take care of that, though."

"They try. We have different opinions, though. I can't let them find me, but now the wizards are multiplying. There's Eldrian, the one who seems to be trying to master all kinds of magic, but now there's also the witch girl, a druid boy, and some fellow with a sword. Kevin, yes. That was his name. Eldrian's friend. I'm going to need to research them more. I don't know enough. And if you find Xeno, make him come back! He receives power and immediately leaves."

"He said he doesn't care about hunting Eldrian or the others. What's the deal with these wizards, anyway? I just don't get it."

"They're born the way they are. Just like spellbreakers. Wizards have a grasp over controlling reality in strange, confusing ways, using just their mind. They use their own energy—their stamina—to do this, so they aren't deities. But before they run out, they're incredibly deadly."

"These wizards are startin' to piss me off more and more."

"The longer I wait, the worse it gets. And I already lost control of two of you. See, wizards are like animals. You back them into a corner, and they get even more dangerous. When they need to, they can come up with seemingly impossible power. The reach of a wizard's magic is the peak of their own imagination. If that limit is high, then God help us."