Chapter 67 - Burn the Witch

The screen flickered. In that dark room, the only light came from the looming glow of street lamps sneaking between the closed blinds over the windows, as well as the television Kevin faced upon the couch. The scene was night, and a young man was stepping carefully down the street, beneath a clouded moon. There were no sounds beyond a wispy wind, nor were there people around, yet the character knew he was being followed. It was felt down his spine.

Sweat poured down Kevin's brow. The music built, and he was on the edge of his seat, waiting for something to pop out. Tensions grew stronger. His heart beat quickly. Slowly, the character turned his head, and behind it was—

Suddenly, a hand grabbed Kevin's shoulder, and he screamed like a girl.

At first, he thought it was a ghost, but when his heart stopped pounded at a rapid pace, his eyes focused, and he saw Deena looming behind his sofa with a blank face. Kevin fell to his side with a hand over his forehead.

"That was loud," she muttered.

"What are you doing in my house?" Kevin yelled back. "Don't you knock?"

"I did knock, but you wouldn't answer."

"I thought vampires needed permission to enter someone's house," Kevin uttered beneath his breath. But then he saw Deena's chilling stare, and he continued in hopes she didn't smite him down like a vengeful goddess. "Well, what do you need so badly that you broke into the place?" he said as he paused the movie.

"I want you."

"What?" he shouted, and choked.

"I need help with something. Everyone else is busy, and you're useful."

"At this time of night?"

"It won't be night where we're going. It'll be almost noon. So dress for warm weather, put on bug spray, and come with me."

She stood in a pair of denim shorts, and a black t-shirt beneath a hanging bead necklace which ended at a skull—of course. Her hair was tied to the side with a black band, and it sported a bow. She was definitely not dressed for a night out in Edmonton when it wasn't even spring yet.

"Now," she commanded. "We don't have all day."

"All right, all right," Kevin grumbled as he stepped off to his room.

What was her problem, anyway? She was always so terrifying, even though she wasn't physically imposing. Kevin was envious in a way. But he also thought about how the two of them never really hung out. Maybe this was the time.

Kevin returned to the living room in a pair of red shorts and a white t-shirt. The front had the image of an orange ball with four starts within the center. With both of them smelling strongly of insect repellent, Deena didn't want to wait any longer, and moved to open a door. However, Kevin stopped her.

"Can we talk for a moment?" he asked. "We just don't do it much."
"No."
"Please? Just a question. I think you owe me that much, since you're taking me away somewhere."

Deena sighed, and turned her eyes to meet his. "Fine. You're right."

"I know you summoned that demon for good reason. I know you probably don't want to talk about that much. But I just want to know... Did it work out? Eldrian never really told me what happened."

"Yeah. It worked out," she said, and paused for a long moment. "It doesn't justify it though. At least I'm more confident now, that my mother did care for me. But now, I grow even more wary of my father. He sent Alumir and Barston to stop me from finding out. He's been up to something all these years."