Chapter 26 - Like Ants

"Remember what I said. I'm not going to say it again. Actually, there's no need for any words. I'm being trusted with a job, and I intend to impress," Deena said.

Ron shook his head. "Ya nothin' but talk. Come here, girl. Let me teach ya a lesson."

He kicked a chunk of soil from beneath his heavy foot, and like a bald panther, he lunged forward to swing forward his fingers to hopefully grapple the witch within his powerful arms. However, he was met with naught but air. A word that should not be repeated escaped his lips, and immediately, his blank white eyes began scanning to locate Deena just a few meters forwards.

"Ya can't run forever," he muttered. "Oh. Ya really aren't talkin' now, huh? Whatever. Now come back here!"

A putrid grin stretched across his face as he knelt down to lift two large rocks up in each hand. He fired each off as if he was a catapult.

She raised up both of her hands to create a shimmering ward of magic, which barely absorbed the crushing weight of the stones. She clenched her teeth, and let out a grunting exhale, but she soon dropped her spell and moved to the offensive.

"Use that freaky thing ya used before!" shouted Ron. "Can't do it, huh? Then ya can't win."

Deena stepped forward. The sun at that point was set behind her, casting an outstretched shadow from her front. A second Deena surfaced from it like a rising, jet-black submarine, and after a moment, it grew with colour until a full clone of the witch was mimicking her movements. This happened again, and then again, until there were several images of her making their way to Ron. He had magic eyes, but not to a good enough degree.

He swung at the closest, but he cursed as it simply shifted in place like a mirage. With another swing, he tried once more, but it wasn't the real Deena either, and this last was a bigger mistake. Deena was up close enough, and she—the real one—brought both her palms up to his chest. Push!

Ron's view of the battle shook as he flew back to land his back against the soil. He was confused, as when he struggled to look back up, only one Deena remained, and her foot was on his chest.

He laughed. "Ya got me down again. What now, huh?"

"I fulfil the promise I made to you."

"What does that mean? And I thought ya weren't gonna talk no mo—Hurk!"

With a hand open, Deena slammed down against Ron's flapping flips. He was incredibly strong, and she knew that, but only a moment was required to do what she wished. His blank eyes widened as he grabbed her stomach and tossed her aside. She tumbled, but managed to land unscathed, unlike the bald thug. It seemed for a moment that he was going to get up, but instead, he wrapped his fingers around his face. Sparkles of flames and filthy smoke burst from his nostrils suddenly in an explosive cloud. Her gamble was correct in the fact that the inside of his body was completely vulnerable unlike the rest. The spell detonated inside his head.

Ron crashed back down, now unmoving, with a cloud billowing from his lips. He coughed once more, and after that, he was out. She crossed her arms—red eyes peering down at his unconscious body.

"I told you so," she uttered beneath her breath.

Renatta and Daveon were pursuing Xeno on the opposite end of the acre. He had led them to an old shed, but he appeared to be ultimately trapped with no wizard-like abilities to allow him escape beyond his twisted mind control.

The druid and fire-dancer stood beside one another and readied themselves for trouble. They saw that their opponent still stood confidently with the same snickering smile as always.