Chapter Two

A/N Edited 02/12/2021

Everyone's eyes are on Cameron Blake, the very same guy I met in the hallway this morning.  I can feel Kylie's gaze on me.  I tear my eyes off him slowly and meet her curious gaze.

"Do you know him?"  Kylie asks.

"Yes...well no, not really.  He's the guy who walked me to class this morning."  I say and her mouth drops open in shock.

"He's the guy who walked you to class?!"  She exclaims very loudly.  I shush her and duck my head down, hoping Cameron didn't hear her.  It's not a big deal, I'm sure he walks tons of girls to class. There are already a ton fawning all over him.  Kylie leans towards me, Jake's arm falling off her shoulders in the process. 

"He's never walked a girl to class before, plenty of girls have asked but he's always declined."  She says, her voice sounding way too happy, like I told her he kissed me.  I smile and shake my head at her.  She's exaggerating, I'm sure of it.

The sounds of the cafeteria die down softly and Kylie's eyes widen.  I look at her confused when I hear a chair screech as someone sits in the empty chair besides me.  I turn and see Cameron Blake sitting beside me with a huge smile on his face. I stare at him, convinced I'm seeing things, he couldn't possibly be sitting here.  My friends are staring at him, none of them saying a word.  Kylie clears her throat.

"Aren't you going to introduce us?"  She asks.  I nod reluctantly.

"This is Cameron.  Cameron, this is Kylie, Jake, and Spencer, my best friends."  I say, gesturing to each of them when I called their names.  Spencer and Jake give Cameron a once over then they both give him the nod that's guys do.  Kylie waves at him and says hi.  Her eyes return to mine and she gives me a look that says,

'Tell me everything.'  I nod.

"So, how do you know Hailee?"  Kylie asks even though she knows already.  He smiles and moves his arm so it's resting on my shoulder.  I stare at it in surprise.  What is he doing?  We aren't friends, I don't even know this guy.  I shrug off his arm, making him chuckle like he's amused.

"I saw a damsel in distress and decided to help her out."  Cameron says, crossing his arms across his chest as he leans back.  I roll my eyes at his statement, I was not a damsel in distress.  I stand up which makes the entire table look at me.

"I'm hungry.  Spence, come with me?"  I ask, using my nickname for him.  He smiles and nods, standing up and walking with me towards the lunch line.  I keep quiet, biting my lip, my mind overthinking everything that has happened today, causing me to worry about what Cameron could be up to.

"What's wrong Hails?"  Spencer asks, his arm going around my shoulder.  I want to confide in him but I'm worried how he will react.  Spencer knows what has happened in the past with guys so he's very protective when it comes to me.  I don't want to worry him without proof of what Cameron is up to.

"I'm just worried about Cameron, I don't know what his angle is.  I'm afraid he will be the same as the others."  His arm drops from my shoulders and the expression on his face turns tough.

"I won't let him hurt you, if he even looks at your sideways I will hurt him."  Spencer says.  I smile a small smile at him, touched by how much he cares for me.  I thank him and we grab our food and head back to the table.

I take my seat in between Spencer and Cameron and start to eat, trying to ignore how I feel sitting beside Cameron, worried, anxious, but also excited, a small part of me is still hoping it isn't a joke, that I've made a new friend.  I push back that feeling and eat my pizza.