Chapter Thirty Seven

A/N Hello my loyal readers! I just wanted to let you know, I will be editing this book chapter by chapter as I continue to write and I will look for any plot holes and fix them. Thank you for reading!

"Please, stop, please." I cry out, as Maddox digs his knife into my leg. I cry out as he continues to attack me, calling for Cam, calling for anyone to save me.

"Hailee!" Someone yells, shaking me awake. My eyelids snap open, terror running through me. Cam looks down at me, a worried look on his face. I sigh in relief and sit up, wrapping my arms around his waist, burying my head in his chest as I sob. He rubs my back to sooth me.

"It's okay, I'm here baby, you're safe." He sooths me, his warm body and his familiar scent calming me. I had to stay in the hospital overnight and Cam insisted on staying with me until I was discharged. I tried to tell him to go home, to be with his Grandma and Colby but I couldn't, I didn't want to be alone.

My friends and brother left to go home but not before signing my cast and my parents said they were going to head home to get me a change of clothes and that they would be back in the morning. The nurse gave me a mild pain medication to help me sleep comfortably and after a while, I feel asleep, only to have nightmares of yesterdays events playing over and over in my head.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Cam says, holding me tight. He keeps apologizing over and over. I want to tell him it's not his fault but I can't stop sobbing. I fell back asleep, exhausted from crying, Cam's hand in mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to the sound of harsh whispers. I open my eyes and see Cam and Dad at the foot of my bed, Dad's face is angry and Cam's is filled with guilt and pain.

"Do you understand?" Dad asks harshly to Cam, he nods, keeping quiet. What happened? What's wrong? What was Dad talking to Cam about? A bad feeling starts to form in my stomach.

"Dad?" I ask, sitting up. Dad looks over, bags under his eyes, as if he hadn't slept all night. He smiles at me and walks towards me.  Cam looks over at me, sadness in his eyes. What happened? What's wrong? He forces a smile at me, a faint smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"Hi Princess. Are you ready to go home?" Dad asks, laying a bag in my lap. I nod, still worried as they leave my room to let me change. As I take off the hospital gown, I see my wounds for the first time. I'm covered in bandages, stitches, bruises and my ankle is throbbing.

Tears spring in my eyes. How did this happen? Something like this shouldn't have happened to me. I hold back the tears and take a deep breath, it's over now, I will heal and everything will be okay.

I change into the black spaghetti strapped dress my dad brought and a pair of sandals. I was happy he brought a dress instead of jeans, that way my wounds could breathe. I grab the rest of my things and limp out of the room to see my dad filling out my discharge papers.

I look around for Cam but he's nowhere to be seen. Why did he leave? Did something happen with Dad? Trevor walks through the hospital doors, smiling when he sees me. He jogs towards me.

"Hey Sis. Are you breaking out?" Trevor says jokingly. I smile softly at him, glad that he came. Who would have thought that the guy who used to bully me, would now be caring for me as my brother. Dad walks towards us, his smile bright upon seeing his son.

"Hello Trevor, what a wonderful surprise, I didn't know you were coming." Dad says, patting him on the shoulder. Trevor shuffles his feet awkwardly, I can tell he isn't quite ready to be close with our dad.

"I came to help my sister, see if she needed anything." Trevor says curtly. Dad smile widens nevertheless, happy his two kids are getting along. Dad looks at me, his eyes trailing to my injuries, a pained look on his face.