Chapter Sixty: Hyuuga Challenge

-Dec 27, 11:30 AM, Namikaze Mansion-

Hinata stood behind the couch in the Main Hall facing the room full of people with a big smile on her face. Naruto, Tsunade, Sakura and Tayuya stood on her right, to her left was Kurenai, Kumo, Anko, Kouseki and Kushina. "I want to thank everyone for coming to my sixteenth birthday and for all the great gifts. My best gift was having Kurenai-chan, Anko-chan and Kumo-chan here with me." Hinata said then leaned over and kissed Kurenai on the lips, making everyone smile or giggle. "As you all know, the Hyuuga Council is making me take the challange to be Head of the Hyuuga Clan, if I refuse or fail I'll have my Byakuugan sealed and get kicked out of the Clan forever..." Hinata paused and hugged Naruto when he growled very loudly. "You all know which members of the Council insisted on this... and forbid me from using my kitsune chakra... I know Naruto-kun, please stay calm. As is my right I can have my close friends present. I want to formally invite everyone here to join me."

Everyone was silent for a moment, then accepted.

Hinata smiled, then nodded to her new family, stepped away and walked to the fireplace where three very somber people stood. "Father... Hanabi-neechan... Neji-niisan, please don't be like this, everything will be fine, trust me."

Hiashi stepped away from the wall and gently put his hands on Hinata's shoulders. "I do trust you my little flower..."

Hinata got a HUGE smile on her face, he hadn't called her that since she was five years old, before her mother died.

"I tried to get them to let you take the test, but they have most of the other Council members intimidated and I couldn't overrule their majority vote. You know they'll insist on the full challenge, you know what that means... you're sure you can win without your kitsune chakra?" Hiashi said calmly, but even he couldn't completely hide his feelings.

"Hai, Naruto-kun and Tsunade-chan have trained me to fight without my kitsune chakra, they don't want me to be totally reliant on it in case it's ever sealed, it was Naruto-kun's idea, he's had it happen to him and wanted me ready for it." Hinata said proudly.

Everyone but Tsunade and Jiraiya stared at Naruto in shock that it was HIS idea.

Naruto gave a big foxy grin and rubbed the back of his head with both hands. "Why is everyone so surprised?"

Everyone broke out in laughter, even Hiashi and Neji.

A minute later Hiashi loudly cleared his throat, which quieted everyone down, walked to Naruto and stood four feet in front of him, emotionless. "No matter what happens during the challenge, I want to thank you for everything you've done for my Clan, especially Hinata. Minato would be proud of you, Naruto-sama." Hiashi then stunned everyone by giving Naruto a full, formal bow.

Kushina cried happily.

-12:00 PM, Hyuuga Compound, Outdoor Training Ground-

Hinata stood at one end of the sparring area and glanced to her left and right to see all her friends and new family. Because of the rules her three blood relatives were on the other side of the area, her father and little sister on the left side with the Hyuuga Council, across from her was Neji. She saw the subtle smirks on many of the Council members faces when they glanced at her, she looked like a normal Hyuuga. She'd been able to do it for a while, but was proud to be a kitsune and chose not to take her original human form, just as Naruto did for the same reason. She wore her old outfit... mostly. She wore her old sandles, black knee shorts and short sleeve dark blue shirt over black sports bra, no jacket. Her waist-length dark blue hair in a bun and short ponytail.

"I'm sorry Hinata-sama." Neji said and dropped into his Jyuuken stance.

"Ready..." A smirking Council member said.