Lost the plot || Draco Malfoy x Reader

Light beams throughout the hall, accentuating the stars against the velvet like sky as the sun set. Time stopped for a split second as candles swayed in the fresh air of the autumn air. Letting the sight get to my stressed ridden self, I stop in my tracks in the empty great hall and accept that I should be studying for potions before the exam next week, I won't let myself do anything else or I will never get to studying for this exam.
My heavy steps bounce off the walls, my procrastination dragging any good mood I have left down as I spot the entrance to the void of hours wishing I were anywhere but here, rereading passages and preparing to cry myself to sleep; the library :)
The silence against the ruffling of pages are enough to repel me all the way out to the Quidditch field. I gulp knowing I'm wasting time to study instead of enjoying this one perfect serene day, I mean it's NEVER this calm during this time of year and especially with the oh so famous Yule ball which is all anyone's talking about at the moment. My eyes barely process the titles of the stack of 6 books I've mindlessly congregated. The books thud against the wood desk, demolishing the natural silence of the library. I sigh, flicking through pages that barely have a chance of helping me pass.
A herd of Chad's whirl loudly pass the library wearing support Cedric badges, breaking the concentration bubble I'd built over the past few hours and returning my worries about my friend having to compete soon. I don't get even a second to worry as someone's chaotic chewing draws my attention. "What's your problem, Crabbe?" He shrugs and continues. This guy follows me everywhere, and it's not that he can't take a hint, he's just stupid. "SHHHHH" I hiss quietly. "Shhh! Quiet in the library" the librarian calls.
"Are you serious? I wasn't even spe- he's eating?!" I inhale sharply and try to internalise all the insults I want to throw in his face. "You know what I couldn't care less, ba-bye" I shoo.
"Why are we like this?" He asks inspecting his apple.
"We? There's no we. If you're asking why I find you irritating it's because you've been sitting here for 10 minutes chewing like an uncivilised toddler and follow me like a hard to kill roach" I stare daggers. "Also you steal" I nod towards the apple.
"Like he's going to find out"
"He is."
"Trust me. He's not." Crabbe says leaning back in his seat.
"You have beautiful hair you know." He says grinning.
"Griffin I know what you're doing. Please just get to the point so I get can back to studying" I say growing more aware of the ageing night.
"Crabbe please spit out whatever you came to say so I can study" For the first time I'm actually excited to study now.
"Come to the Ball with me?" He smirks, reaching out a hand to grasp mine.
"No." I slam my book shut on his hand.
"Y/n..." he gets up and twists a strand of my hair.
"Oí is that my apple?"
"I- uh- no well yes but-" Crabbe stumbles.
"What are you- get away from her you creep and there's no food in the library anyway.." Draco snatches the apple and shoves Crabbe towards the exit. "I could've handled that.." I mumble.
As Crabbe scurries away out the library, I try to regain my study flow. Of course that's not going to happen. Closing my eyes, I tune out everything and take a deep breath.
Piled up in my arms are the 6 heavy potion books SOMEONE couldn't wait to not let me finish. This time my steps are muffled and heavy as I stomp down the stairs across Hogwarts back to the Slytherin Common Room. I don't have time to appreciate the silence and tranquile state of the school now as the weight of everything settles in the pit of my stomach.
Hopefully here I can squeeze in some studying. I release the bundle of books onto my bed and sigh in relief as blood returns to my tired hands and arms.

It must have been a couple hours because I eventually found myself in a dark room by myself. The natural light of the sunset had been long gone by now. I stand up for the first time in hours and stretch. "Lumos!" A light beams from my wand as I close the books and take in the darkness outside. At this time you can still make out the outlines of the forest and magnificent towers of Hogwarts. I'm starving.

Daphne smiles sweetly in my direction as I sit in my usual spot between her and Pansy. Everyone's in a heated discussion about the tournament. "Y/n who are you rooting for?"
"Cedric, I mean he's my friend sooo.." I shrug, playing with my mashed potatoes. A flutter disturbs me, a small paper swan now lies in my masterpiece of a potato. Before I know it my fingers are unraveling it.
Y/n,
You probably have a date already for the Yule Ball, but if you don't, consider going with me? Let me know xx
D.M.
My eyes dart across the room to see if this is some sick prank, but the Weasley twins aren't laughing hysterically or waiting for my reaction. I now glance over at Draco who's already staring at me. He smiles for a moment then looks away after realising I've noticed him.
I consider the letter as I continue to poke at my food. It wouldn't be horrible, I mean despite his brattiness I've always kinda admired him. After a bit I gather the motivation to go up to him.
"Hey Y/n!" Terence jumps in front of me.
"Hey Ter, what's up?" He stays silent, just smiling widely like he's hiding something.
"Can you hurry this up I've gotta- wait why are you so happy? I'm your cousin, I know somethings up when you're not complaining the day before an exam"
"Something I...ordered just came in and I was going to get it"
"...it's not drugs is it"
"JEEZ NO! I was leasing up to asking if you wanted to prank someone- I ordered prank stuff not drugs, why do you think like this?"
"Ok I'm up for that, I have a lot of people I'd like to get back at" Draco can wait.