Traitor || Neville x Jessica

This was requested by cuz_ima_bird, hope you like it.

My shoulder collides with that of someone else, making them drop their wand. "I'm so sorry" I say, picking their wand up. The boy hesitantly takes back the wand, looking at the ground. "Please don't be shy" I say, seeing he seems like a super kind person.
"I'm Jessica" I offer a hand to shake. He slowly shakes it, becoming a little less tense.
"My names Neville Longbottom" the boy finally says.
"So Gryffindor huh?"
"And you're a Hufflepuff?" He asks, pointing at my robe.
"Yeah I'm in my 4th year"
"HEADS UP DUDE" A thunderous herd of boys rampage up and down the hall with a quaffle. Neville winces, waiting for the impact. "Neville-" I sigh, sticking my hand out to intercept. "Why didn't you hit it away?" I ask, shaking my head.
"You nearly decapitated my friend!" I raise my voice slightly at my brother sheepishly smiled.
"Sorry bubs, and sorry to your friend..." Cedric rubs the back of his neck, passing the Quaffle away to his friends.
"Neville" Neville whispers, shrinking away. Cedric smiles apologetically before following his friends outside.
"Is he your boyfriend?" Neville whispers, as if he's just met Voldemort.
"Ew! No that's my brother"
"...bubs?"
"Older brother, he naturally thinks I'm a baby"
-------------
It was soon to be the famous Yule Ball, something I hope I can actually unwind at after the news that my brother would be competing in the tournament. Sure I could have fun on my own, but the culture really is to bring a date so I'm kinda bummed that I hadn't secured one yet. I even gathered up weeks of courage to ask Neville after he said he wouldn't bother attending the dance without me, which seemed like a hint but when I asked he said no and ignored me for days. Recently I heard that he asked someone else to go and they said yes, which is good for him... Now I have Ron and Harry last minute begging me to attend with one of them. At first I thought it was absurd and felt like I was betraying Neville, but he's made it clear that he won't be going with me despite what he said.
"Jessica PLEASE, will you go with me to the ball?" Harry asks after tracking me down in the library.
"Fine, I'll go with you" I sigh.
"Thank you so much" he hugs me before running off to wherever, leaving me with guilt and a pit in my stomach.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Today's the Ball, and I wish I could say I felt completely excited, but I was struggling, not sure if I'm curious to see who he took or if I hoped to not see him once.
"Today is the day!" Hannah squealed, dancing around the room. Fake it till I make it I guess. I start by dressing into the masterpiece my parents sent me.

 I start by dressing into the masterpiece my parents sent me

I leave my hair down in it's golden brown waves.
"OMG! Jessica, you look amazing!" Hannah gasps.
"Thank you, you look wicked in that dress" I admire her choice.
"Thanks" she says, twirling to show it off.
"I am going to go find my date, ok?" I ask and she nods her head. "You look good, own it and try to have a good time" I tell her before walking out.
I immediately notice Harry waiting for me. "You look brilliant Jessica!" Harry says looking me up and down.
"Thank you Harry, you look quite good yourself" I say smiling.
"Oh, you're kidding" he says shaking his head.
"I'm really not, have some confidence, you look great!"
"Thank you" Harry says genuinely smiling. We walk to the ceremony and find Ron with his date.
I watch Cedric laugh with his date, Cho. We're good friends, but I would be lying if I said I was completely comfortable with her going with my big brother. Soon I'm being pulled into the dancefloor. Even with the madness and eyes on me, I find myself thinking of Neville, knowing he's in the crowd watching me right now next to someone else. When everyone joins the champions I spot Nevilles awkwardness in seconds. He's dancing incredibly with Ginny Weasley, who's not even allowed to be here without a date. I can't help but feel defeated, I mean he would've had to go out of his way and put a lot of thought to have had invited someone from the younger years. Traitor. I stay as normal and happy as I could be but everywhere I looked they were there. "If it's not too much to ask, would you mind bringing me a drink?" Harry asks, collapsing onto a chair from exhaustion.
"Sure, you need a break from dancing" I laugh. As I approach the drinks, I take note of the one person standing in front of it, sipping some sort of punch. I fill two glasses and swiftly turn around. Before I could stop myself I purposefully shoulder Neville. "Argh" his drink spills down his shirt. He looks at me gaping, looking me up and down.
"Oh sorry! That's what you wanted anyway, when you said you wanted me by your side for the hall?" I walk off back to Harry and hand him his drink. Leaving Neville alone to process. I look back at him. He's now watching me from the distance. I maintain my poker face, bringing my drink to my lips and chugging it. I slam the glass onto the table without breaking eye contact, knowing even this will scare the boy. Sure enough, he gulps and looks away.
"Are you ok?" Harry asks, eyeing me suspiciously.
"I feel sick, I've been here too long and my insides feel all twisted from all that dancing" I shrug. "I might head to bed"
"That's fine, I just hope you had a good time tonight"
"Oh I did, thanks Harry" I smile, hugging him. Once I'm alone walking through the halls I stomp my way to the dorms, not sure how to feel anymore.

--------
The next morning I wake up in my dress from last night which surprisingly looked just as good as it did yesterday. I change into something casual and leave to get breakfast. When walking through the common room I see Neville sitting on the couch biting his nails. "Jessica!" He calls, catching up to me. I tune him out as he tries to explain. I should probably listen, but I'm in no mood now. I eventually shake him off and try to eat in peace.
"Hey Jess, are you feeling alright?" He asks, raising his hand up to my forehead to check my temperature. "You don't seem yourself and you looked pretty happy just last night..."
"I'm fine, there's nothing to worry about" I cough up a nice fake smile until he's gone to sit with his friends. I play with my food until the seat next to me shifts.
"What?" I sigh.
"What did I do wrong?" He asks.
"Are you serious?" I ask.
"Well, yeah.."
"You actually don't know?"
"No" he shrugs.
"Did you even hear me last night?"
"Loud and clear" he admits.
"Then why are you talking to me" I ask, leaving to marinate in the cold outside.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
I avoided Neville for a while and was getting pretty good at it. Today I saw him during lunch, it didn't take him any time to see me and start making his way to catch me. Draco walks past, looking at Neville weirdly seeing him desperately jogging towards us. I stare at Neville as I pull Draco by the tie and kiss him. Smirking, I leave to sit by the black lake. I burry my face in my arms and blend into the breeze. I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Sorry about the little stunt" I sigh.
"Forget it, I know why you did it" he says, looking out across the ominous lake.
"You do?"
"I saw what you did at the Ball, you want to make him suffer for what he did" he shrugs.
"Not very Hufflepuff of you" he says nudging me with his elbow.
"I don't know.."
"You have to talk to him, deep down you know if you're making the effort to get back at him you still have feelings for him" he says. He's right. But how do so I talk to Neville after this.
"We can be friends" I chuckle, holding my hand out to Draco."You give great advice"
"Stop wasting time and talk to him" Draco says, lightly pushing my in the direction of the castle.
I spot him sitting by himself on a bench. I sit next to him in silence. "I'm sorry" he says.
"I'm sorry for the way I acted" I say back.
"I am the one who's to blame, with my stupid feelings and all" Neville sighs, sinking back into the seat.
"What do you mean?"
"This is embarrassing but when have I not embarrassed myself... when you asked me to the Ball I was over the moon but I... I think you're much too good to go with me and I didn't want to hold you back and for you to waste the day going with me"
"If anything you're too good to go with me, I acted so petty without speaking to you about it" I admitted. "Look at us, already acting like best friends in elementary school after a fight"
"I'm sorry Jess" he says wrapping his arms around me, happy to just talk to me for the first time in weeks.
"I'm sorry Neville" I whisper, melting into the hug.
"Best friends?" He asks, opening a pinky promise.
"Best friends" I confirm, doing to first pinky promise I've done in a decade.
"Is this how elementary students act or am I doing it all wrong, I've never been.." he whispers. "And to be clear, we're more than best friends, I was just acting there"