First Friend || Neville Longbottom x Reader

I hug my parents tightly, my hands desperately clinging to the fabric of their clothes. This would be the longest time I will have gone without seeing them.
"Have a great time Y/N" Dad smiles, placing a firm hand on my small shoulder.
"Love you princess. Write us" Mum says waving at me as I walk away. It was going to be my first day at Hogwarts! No word can describe what I'm feeling, I mean, 'excited' would be an understatement. I've never seen the school, but from what I hear I should have my high expectation exceeded by a long shot. I board the train after putting my luggage away. I pear through the small window, waving to my parents as I make my way through the tight passageway to find somewhere to sit.

I have a hard time trying to find an empty carriage. I see carriages full of students and friends, while I for one, don't know anybody...
I gave up after a while and opened the door to a carriage with two boys in it.
"Hello, may I sit here? All the others are full" I say, afraid of rejection but just tired.
"Sure, I am Ron Weasley" I nod hesitantly knowing he is what my mum would call a 'blood traitor'. My mother doesn't like blood traitors and muggleborns. She taught me to stay away from them, but father doesn't have an opinion on them.
"I am Y/n, who are you?" I ask the boy with glasses.
"Harry Potter, it's nice to meet you" he says.
"Oh Merlin! You are the Harry Potter? It is my pleasure" I say smiling. A girl with bushy brown hair slides open the door abruptly.
"Have you seen a toad anywhere? A boy named Neville lost one" I shake my head. After a few words, the girl goes off on a lecture.
"Hold on a second. Are you a muggleborn?" I ask.
"Yes, I am" I gasp. I need to find a carriage with purebloods, ones my mother would accept. On one hand, I really don't want to make friends my mother won't approve of, because I don't want to hurt their feelings. On the other hand, I could go ahead and sit with these people... but my parents would get too angry and take it out on me again. They do seem like lovely people though.
"uh. I have to go." I say, quickly exiting. Guilt eats away at me as I enter a carriage with a Malfoy and two other people I did not know.
"Hi, i'm Y/N Wood, may I sit here?" I ask. They nod curtly.
"I am Malfoy, Draco Malfoy. And this is Goyle and Crabbe" he says.
"So, I am guessing you're a pure-blood?" I nod. A boy with chocolate brown hair opens the door.
"Uh, have any of you seen a toad?" He asks nervously.
"I'm really sorry but I haven't..." I respond.
"Who are you?" Draco snaps.
"Neville"
"Neville what, wimp?" Goyle asks.
"N-neville L-longbottom" Neville says.
"Hahahaha, what kind of name is that Longbottom." Draco says laughing his head off. I honestly felt sorry for the boy. I glare at them.
"Well, I'm going to leave if you think it's ok to treat someone like that." I say standing up.
"No, don't leave" Draco calls.
"Too late" I reply, walking out. "Shame in you"
"Thanks for standing up for me" Neville says.
"I wish people like them didn't actually exist" I reply, looking out the window as the moving scenery. "Hey, I should get changed. I'll find you when I am done"
---------
After getting changed I soon find Neville. I sit across from him. "You aren't a mudblood are you?" I ask.
"Why would you use such words for them? And no I am not a muggleborn." I look at my shoes.
"Sorry. My mother taught me not to stay with 'blood traitors' and 'mudbloods'. I don't agree with her though. I feel disgusted with myself every time I say or hear those terms... it feels wrong, but.. I just don't know"
"It's ok" he replies. "Just don't think of them as different to us, they're witches and wizards just like us" I nod firmly, questioning my mother and how I see her as basically an Angel.
We chat the rest of the way to hogwarts about random stuff. He'll be a good friend for sure, he's so positive and always smiling; he's already helped me become a better person. Soon enough we arrive at Hogwarts. Stepping off onto the platform feels unreal. I can't believe I've made it here. I make sure to stay close to Neville in case we get lost, this looks like the last place I'd want to get lost at. A polite half giant man leads us to the boats, these small canoe like devices that magically row. We get in with a few of the other boys. Everyone oohs and aahs at the view as we slowly approach the magnificent school. Surprisingly, Neville acidentally falls into the black lake. I help fish him out and cast a simple spell that would dry him up in less than a second. Fellow students applaud, not knowing any spells. I keep my mouth shut about that being the only spell I know. The mini journey leads us to the front step of the castle. It's intimidating, scary and full of life at the same time. A stern looking witch loudly announces what would be happening and what the houses are. Neville beams through the whole speech, just happy to be here and have had found his toad. We soon got let into the great hall, filling into the spacious hall surrounded by older years starring at us like zoo animals.
One by one we're called up to an old wooden bar stool to be sorted. As I wait my eyes dart over the space, at the students, the food, the floating candles, the terrifying teacher in black...
My heart jumps for Neville when he's called up for his turn. I watch closely, afraid for my new friend. The worn talking hat roars "GRYFFINDOR", sending a wave of applause through the yellow and red table. Neville tries to smile, but it's clear he's scared. Right now I don't see how he fits the criteria... probably something to do with the future. "Wood, Y/n" I'm suddenly extremely conscious. I hesitantly walk to the front, a billion questions running through my head. Am I walking too fast? Do I look terrified if I walk fast? People are waiting for me. Will I never see Neville again if I'm not placed in Gryffindor? The hat gets placed onto my head. It feels indescribably weird to have another voice in your head, let alone having a discussion with you. It babbles on to itself about who I could be and where I'd thrive. "GRYFFINDOR!!!!" I shrug with a grin on my face, but I'm screaming for joy in the inside. I bounce off the chair and walk to the Gryffindor table who were cheering for their newest addition. These people are nowhere like the people I met on the train, they're like Ron and Harry. All equally as welcoming and excited as the next. Neville makes room for me to sit and cheers, gesturing me over. This days turned me into a hall of cheese and cliche which is cliche in itself by saying that, but I don't care because I'm loving it here.