It's Love When It Burns Ch 9

Shock was my initial reaction when his lips met mine, complete shock. After how he spoke to me moments before, now he was kissing me.

Then the shock was replaced my anger. With all the power I could muster, I place my hands between us and push him back.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" I ask furiously. After putting space between he looks at me, his eyes full of pain.

"I can't let you go Leianna," he tells me, "I have tried so hard but I can't."

Another moment of shock settles over me. What was he even talking about?

He lifts his hand up and cups my face, "I try so hard to fight the fact I still care about you but when we are alone," he says leaning forward and presses a soft kiss on the top of my head, "I just can't."

I wanted to smile, and tell him how happy it made me feel to hear him say that, but I knew that would only lead to more heartache, for both of us.

"Tell me Leianna," he says moving his hands from my face down to my neck, "Tell me there is no hope for us again. Tell me that it's best we aren't together."

I wanted to say just that, to tell him he had his chance. That I am happy with George and what I have with him can never be again.

I let out a deep sigh and look up at him.

"Draco, this... this can't happen again. I mean what I said last year, we can't be together on opposite side of this war," I say trying to sound sure, " I will always be here for you, as a friend if you like, but I can't be this anymore."

His lifts his head, "I guess that will do," he tells me with a half-smile appearing on his lips, "I just want to let you go, like I intended. I don't want you to get hurt."

At first I didn't catch on to what he said, I only took it as he didn't' want to hurt me. But when I went over it in my head I noticed that last part.

"What do you mean you don't want me to get hurt?" I ask putting more distance between us, "Do you mean you don't want to hurt me again or do you mean something else?"

He drops his hand and still had a dream like expression on his face as he replied, " Both," he says, "Either way it would consist of me getting you hurt."

"What does that mean Draco, who would want to hurt me?"

The dream like state he was in shatters as he realizes what I had just said. Awareness as well as a guarded expression clouds his features.

"It doesn't matter Leianna," he tells me, "Either way I don't want you hurt and let's leave it at that."

I took that as my queue to stop asking questions. I could tell I was messing around with questions that he wasn't ready to answer just yet.

"Draco," I say stepping toward him once more, "Just know I am still here for you, as a friend and I will do my best to help you if you need me."

I reach out and wrap my arms around him, "I still want to be your friend."

I felt his body stiffen at first then relax as he wrapped his arms around me.

He buried his face into my hair as well as one of his hands, "Leianna that will never work out, not for me," he whispers making my already confused mind even more clouded, "I can never just be your friend."

With that he lets me go.

I was utterly shocked by his words. I figured he still wanted me in his life and I thought he had accepted that we can't be together anymore.