6

•Tyler's POV•

It was Monday. I strongly despised Mondays. You know those bad songs on the radio? The ones you'd rather skip than listen to? That's what Monday was.

Y/n and I walked into the school. "Guess I'll see you at the end of the day. Don't be late this time, Tyler." I pushed her and walked away.

I had my first class with Mackenzie, so I ran up to her in the hallway.

"Mack!" I called out to her, and she turned around.

"That's me!" She exclaimed with her usually cheery attitude.

"So how was your date with Josh?" I asked.

"It was good!"

"Cool."

"How was your date with Y/n?" She asked me, smirking. And there it was again. I rolled my eyes, silently chuckling to myself.

"Don't even start." I pushed her out of the way as we walked into the classroom.

•Time skip•

School finally ended. I saw Y/n walking ahead of me so I ran ahead to catch up with her.

"Hey Y/n!" I said, walking up behind her.

"Oh, hey Ty!"

I saw she was wearing the hoodie I put on her yesterday. I was going to ask for it back, because I loved my hoodies, but I had to admit, I loved the way she looked in it even more.

"You know you didn't give me my hoodie back? I was freezing in class today." I joked, but at the same time I was actually a bit serious. I was actually freezing.

"Yeah. Sorry about that. But it's warm, and it smells good," she shrugged.

"Whatever. Keep it," I said. She smiled, giving me a look that said 'I was gonna keep it anyway, but thanks.'

•Time skip to when you get home•

•Y/n's POV•

Tyler and I walked home, as usual. But things seemed to be a little more quiet... more awkward. It had been like that lately, and I really wished it hadn't. Something between us had shifted, and I wasn't exactly sure what. I wished things could have been like they always were.

We used to act as brother and sister. He'd push me, I'd push him back, and we'd get into stupid little arguments over the dumbest of things. He wasn't afraid to tease me or make fun of me. And although he still did it occasionally, I noticed it happening less and less. He was extra sweet now, even nervous around me. It almost seemed like he wanted to impress me in some sort of way.

And I hated that I was feeding into it too. As much as I wanted to deny it, I couldn't. I liked him. I wanted to cringe when I admitted it to myself, but I couldn't stray away from the truth.

All our lives, people had been saying that we'd end up as a couple, one way or another. And of course, when we were little, we thought it was the most ridiculous idea in the world. But now that we had gotten a bit older, and both of our appearances definitely changed at least a little, the idea didn't seem to crazy now. As time went on, I secretly found him getting more attractive, and I wanted to hit myself in the face for thinking that way, but it was true. So all in all, it just made things weird between us.

When we arrived at both of our houses, I started making my way up my driveway. But I felt a hand grab my wrist, tugging me back. I stood in front of him now, and I was about to complain, but his face looked so soft at that moment that I'd feel too guilty doing it.

"Can I try something?" He asked hesitantly, his voice just above a whisper. Because I was a stupid, clueless girl, I slowly nodded my head, not really knowing what he was implying. He started leaning in, and part of me wanted to do the same, to see what it would be like kiss someone for the first time, but the other part of me said no. We can't kiss, are you crazy? I thought to myself. You're too young. It'll end with a breakup and it'll complicate things further.

So I stepped back, my heart beating out of my chest as I did so. Not only was I embarrassing myself, but I was embarrassing him too. He bit his lip, his eyes looking anywhere but at me.

"I'm sorry," was all I could say. Because truthfully, I was. I felt bad the moment I stepped back. But kissing him? I couldn't. You weren't supposed kiss your best friend. Everybody knew that.

"It's fine," he said, shrugging. He walked past me, his shoulder brushing against my arm. I stood out there as he walked inside, not another word spoken between either of us. I sighed, walking towards my own house. I went inside, throwing my stuff on the floor and going upstairs to my room.

So now it was clear. Tyler liked me, for whatever reason, and I liked him. I never saw that coming.

Our parents told us we'd get married someday, or at least, they hoped we would. But even though I had feelings for him now, I was sure they'd go away. It was just a crush on a boy, Tyler and I would look back and laugh at this.