8

•Y/n's POV•

As Tyler and I stood there, our hands intertwined and us looking like two love-struck teenagers, my mom decided to peek at us from across the hall.

"You guys alright?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. Tyler quick pulled away in embarrassment, hitting his head against the wall directly behind him.

"Yeah, yeah we're good," I said quickly, clasping my hands together in front of me to look as casual as possible. I could tell she didn't buy it, but she shrugged her shoulders and walked away nonetheless. I didn't want to tell her what had just happened between me and Tyler because not even I completely understood it yet.

I giggled as I looked at Tyler's flushed red face. "Are you okay there?" I asked with a smile. He nodded his head, the corner of his lips lifting into a toothy grin. I looked at his face, admiring the two dimples that rested on his cheekbone. It was the smallest things that I found adorable in him.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asked.

"Depends. What is it?"

He stopped, his eyes adverting to the hardwood floor he was standing on. "Now I know this might sound weird, because we're friends and all but..." he trailed off, biting his lip. I stood there silently, awaiting him to finish his question. "I just was wondering, do you wanna go on a date with me?"

"Tyler, I'd love to go on a date with you," I replied happily. A date. I had never been on one of those before, and now I was going on one with my best friend. I knew that this boy was doing something to me for sure. But I let the joy overtake me, because truth be told, I really really liked him, more than I intended to.

_______________________________

•Time skip to school on Friday•

•Y/n's POV•

"So... I saw Tyler holding your hand today," Mackenzie stated as she walked beside me in the hallway. School was over and we were all making our way to the front.

"Yeah uh, about that-" I started, but then I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Y/n!" Tyler came running up behind us. Without a glance at Mackenzie, he kissed my cheek, smiling as he pulled away. He must've just realized she was standing directly next to me because he said, "Oh, hey Mack! I didn't see you there..."

Mackenzie didn't seem too surprised by our odd behavior, but I knew why. I had already told her about how Tyler would kiss my cheek occasionally, so that part was normal to her. However, she wasn't aware of the kiss Tyler and I shared a few days ago.

"We're going on a date," I said randomly. She was one of our best friends, we would have had to tell her at some point, so I just decided to say it now. Her eyes widened, darting between me and Tyler.

"Are you really? Or are you playing a joke on me?" She asked in disbelief.

"We are," I confirmed, nodding my head.

"Finally!" She exclaimed, engulfing me and Tyler into a tiny group hug. "You guys are about to be the cutest couple ever. We need to go on a double date!"

"That's a great idea!" Tyler's excitement matched hers.

"Ty, did you tell Josh about you and Y/n?" She questioned, looking over at Tyler.

"Not yet. I'll tell him when I see him next."

"Cool, he's walking up behind you. So tell him now!" She pushed me and Tyler towards the yellow haired boy who was walking up behind us.

"Whoa, what's happening?" Josh raised an eyebrow.

"Tell him!" Mackenzie demanded.

"Uh..Tyler and I are-" I stopped talking and looked over at Tyler, not knowing what to say.

"I asked her out," Tyler said confidently, standing up tall. Josh's eyes widened, and he smiled widely.

"Oh my gosh, you have no idea how happy I am right now," he said, his tone sounding extremely joyful.

•Time skip•

"I don't have anything to wear!" Mackenzie complained, throwing all of her clothes on the floor of her room.

"Can I just wear a shirt and some black pants?" I asked, sitting on her bed, swinging my legs back and forth.

"Are you serious? For your first date?" She turned around and looked at me, moving some hair out of her face.

I knew Tyler wouldn't care what I wore. He knew I hated dressing up, so he would be completely fine with whatever I decided to put on. But I didn't want to feel like the only underdressed one among the group, so I gave in.

"Fine. But I won't like it." I jumped off the bed and took my phone out of my pocket. "Text me when you're ready." I said, holding my phone up and walking out of the door.

_______________________________

"Mom! I need help!" I yelled across my house, waiting for my mom to come up so she could help me find something to wear. I hate dressing up.

"What?" she asked, slowly opened my door and sticking her head in. I walked closer to the door and opened it all the way.

"I'm going somewhere with Tyler, and I have to dress nice," I explained, trying to hide the fact that it was a date. She rose an eyebrow in confusion.

"Dress nice? With Tyler? Where are you even going?" She asked.

"A restaurant. A nice one," I stated nervously. She was catching on, I could tell.

"Well," she said with a slight smirk on her face, "If you're hanging out with Tyler tonight, I might have something for you." She brought me up to her room, handing me a black dress that seemed to be my size.

"Wear this," she said, handing it to me.

"Thanks," I said, my voice still sounding kind of annoyed. I really didn't want to dress up for this. She left my room and I changed into it.

I heard my phone ding so I picked it up, checking to see who was texting me. It was Tyler.

Tyler: Hey I'm ready. Should I come over yet?

Y/n: Yeah. I'm ready

Tyler: alright, see ya soon, buttercup <3

Buttercup? Is that his nickname for me now? It's not bad though. I like it.