16

•Tyler's POV•

So Y/n and I have been together for a little over a month. Being her best friend was great, but I definitely enjoyed being her boyfriend more.

At school, posters about the prom were ubiquitous around the hallways. I know Y/n doesn't like getting dressed up and stuff, but I still think I should take her. After all, it's the prom.

I heard Josh's familiar voice call my name from down the hallway. I spotted his bright lemon hair as he scampered through the hall to reach me. By the time he walked up to me he was breathing heavily. "Hey Josh," I greeted him.

"Hey, what are you doing after school today?" Josh curiously looked at me.

"Nothing. You can come over if you want."

"Sounds good. See you after school." Josh waved me goodbye as he walked into his classroom.

_______________________________

Even though Josh was coming over today, he still had to take the bus. Once the bell rung I rushed to the front of the school to meet Y/n. I couldn't count how many times I've tried to get there before her, but failed. I don't know how she does it.

I saw her leaning against the wall. Straight away, her eyes brightened as she looked up and met mine. "Hello Tyler," she smiled, taking my hand.

_______________________________

As we walked home, we didn't really talk much. It was quiet, but not the awkward kind of quiet.

"So, what are your thoughts on doors?" My soft voice filled the empty, silent air. "Doors?" She rose an eyebrow and looked at me with confusion.

"Yes, doors. Your thoughts?" I looked back at her with a smile.

"They're cool, I guess. I can lock people out. People like you," she teased while she ruffled my hair, causing it to look messy and stick up in every direction. "Well, you love me so you wouldn't lock me out," I replied, smoothing out my hair so it would look a little less messy.

One we got to our houses, she let go of my hand and began to walk to her door. "No, don't you leave yet," I spoke quietly while pulling her arm towards me. "What?" She giggled, twirling her hair. I softly pressed my lips against her cheek and pulled away.

"Gross!" She whined, wiping her face with the black sleeve of her hoodie. Well, it was my hoodie, but I gave it to her, so I guess it's hers now.

"Gross?" I chuckled, tugging her arm so her face was closer to mine. I quickly kissed her on the cheek again. She stepped back quietly and I looked into her eyes. A small smiled formed on her face as we were put into a trance- just staring into each other's eyes.

I heard a car door slam shut, so I spun around in curiosity. When I noticed Josh's highlighter colored hair, I gasped and ran over to see him, leaving Y/n behind.

"Josh!" I exclaimed, smiling widely.

"Hey Tyler!" He smiled back. "Uh, maybe you shouldn't leave your girlfriend behind." Josh laughed, pointing behind me. I turned around to see Y/n with a hand on her hip. "Oh, sorry!" I smiled softly and ran over to kiss her lips lightly. She shook her head and rolled her eyes, but I knew from the slight smile she was wearing, she wasn't annoyed.

"I'm gonna go do homework." She stated blandly, walking up her driveway. "See ya later!" She called more enthusiastically. Josh and I waved back, walking towards my house.

_______________________________

"I don't get how you play this thing." Josh was pulling at the strings of my ukulele. "Hey, be careful." I snatched it out of his hands and placed it on my bed.

We stood quiet for a minute, until Josh spoke up. "Are you gonna ask Y/n to prom?" I thought for a moment. I really wanted to ask her, but 'prom' isn't really her thing.

"I know she doesn't really enjoy that kind of stuff, but if it's with you I'm sure she'll go." Josh looked at me reassuringly.

"True. I mean, come on. She can't turn down this." I bit my lip as I pointed to myself.

"So when are you asking Mackenzie?" I asked, sitting down into my bed. "I don't know, whenever." He shrugged, running a hand through his yellow hair.

I thought about how I should ask Y/n. Nothing too big, that would be stupid, but nothing  uncreative, because that's also stupid. I needed to do something simple, but sweet. My mom interrupted my thoughts by opening the door and peaking her head in. "Time for dinner, boys," she smiled and waited for us to get up.

A pulled out a chair at the table and sat down next to my sister, Maddy. Josh sat on the other side of me. My whole family, and Josh, was at the table, but everyone ate silently. My mom decided to finally speak up, her voice seeming to echo through the entire room. "How was everyone's day?" She looked around the table, waiting for a few responses. My younger brother, Jay, murmured a 'good' under his breath while the rest of my family sat noiseless.

"Prom is coming up," Josh told her as he looked up from his dish. I turned to Josh and gave him a bland look, slightly opening my mouth in annoyance. I'd rather him not tell my mom so she doesn't have to vex me about it. "Oh really?" She smiled as she looked at Josh, and then me. "You need help asking Y/n?"

"No. I'm good." I stated, clearing my throat.

_______________________________

Josh had to go home, so I spent the rest of the night wondering on how I should ask Y/n to the prom. I didn't wanna ask anyone for help, especially my siblings.

I picked up my phone from my bed and checked the time. 8:00. I could probably think something up and be able to ask Y/n tonight.