Chapter # 24

Not edited.

Sheheryar's POV:

I glanced again at my wristwatch before turning my face to Sadaf and Taha who were busy eating ice cream. We arrived early at my lawyer's office, therefore I bought ice cream for kids to divert their minds for a while from the promise of taking them to an amusement park, or else they wouldn't be listening to me.

Since I read the news in the morning, the first thing I did was to contact my lawyer and postponed my meeting tomorrow as taking kids with me or leaving them with Fiza or Ehtesham doesn't seem like an option.

I was thinking about taking custody of kids before too, so Ehtesham and Fiza could live a normal life, later I become more assured of my decision when I felt the disturbing relationship of them and now after knowing that Ehtesham has announced his engagement, I couldn't let kids stay with them. Whatever happens in future between Ehtesham and Fiza is their personal matter but I would never allow Sadaf and Taha to be a burden on them, they are free to take decisions of their life.

"Mamo, bus!" Taha said putting his half-finished ice cream cup on the table saying that he couldn't eat anymore.

"You said that you will eat the whole cup." I said.

"Nai, bus. (No, I am done)." He said raising his hand. I sighed and pick his cup to finish the half-melted ice cream.

This is something I have learned from Fiza. I only have eaten twice with her in kids' presences but have learned many things. I thought she was being reserved for not ordering a proper meal but later she had a proper meal by finishing leftovers of Taha and Sadaf. I always used to waste that food but after watching her, I remember a basic manner 'not to waste food'. Although it is hard to swallow the cold food left by kids, still I start eating it. Why? Perhaps I also want to set a good example for kids. Just like Fiza does, I don't want to be someone like Ehtesham.

I quickly finished the ice cream before it melts completely and sits straight, expecting that Sadaf would also give me her ice cream also, instead, I find her wiping Taha's mouth with her tissue paper.

She is growing up...

A smile formed on my face. I opened my mouth to praise her but my phone buzzing sound stopped me.

"Hello Assalam o Alaikum!" I said, picking up the call.

"Wallaikum Assalam, I am speaking to Mr Sheheryar?" A masculine voice asked.

"Yes, speaking."

"I am calling from Ehtesham's wife's home, I am... Fiza's uncle."

"Oh,... is everything alright?" I asked sitting straight.

"Yes. Well, actually I have to ask you for a favour."

"Ji? (Yes?)." I said carefully.

"Fiza... is not feeling well today. So could you keep the kids with you for one more day?" He asked hesitantly.

What happened to her???

"I can keep them more than one day, I don't mind they are my kids too. Don't worry and take care of your niece." I avoid calling Fiza by her name, I never addressed her as Bhabi or something and Mrs Ehtesham wouldn't sound right if they have also seen today's newspaper.

"Thank you, I will send someone to pick kids tomorrow night." He said in a serious tone.

"You don't have to send anyone. The kids will be staying with me until your nice recover properly." I reassure him, "But may I ask what happened to her? Is something serious?"