Chapter One

"It looked smaller in the pictures," Liv mused.

"They always do, don't they?" I murmured, staring at the high school. 

It wasn't just one building but, instead, had multiple buildings all with large signs above the doors labelled English, Social Studies, Mathematics etc. There was an entire separate building for the detention room. 

Liv squeaked, "How am I going to do this? I mean, at first, I thought it would be such a great idea to get away from London and the bullying and just focus on making friends and feeling confident... but how do I make friends again?"

I sent my little sister a smile, "Just be yourself. Someone will like you for you. I'm sure of it."

Liv nodded and took a deep breath, "Right. I can do this. I'm a... strong, independent woman who can fit into a new school."

I grinned, "That's the spirit!"

"Who am I kidding?" she mumbled, "I'm not even a woman."

I sighed loudly, "Come on, Liv, let's get our paperwork filled out."

My little sister was rooted to the spot, though. I giggled the slightest, "It isn't like it is in movies. It's pretty easy to make friends, Liv, if you be yourself."

"Maybe for you," she scoffed, "Because you're perfect. Me? No one is gonna wanna deal with my baggage; long-lost father, many ex-step-fathers, anorexic, shall I continue?"

"You're fine, Liv," I huffed, "You don't have to mention that if you don't want to."

Liv's eyebrows furrowed together as she stared at her feet.

"Liv," I tried to keep my voice steady, "We have to go to the office before the first bell."

She just crossed her arms, shifting her weight from foot to foot. 

"Liv," I repeated, getting dangerously annoyed now.

No signal to say that she'd even heard me. 

"Olivia Smith, I swear by our blue eyes, if you do not move-"

"That's a funny thing to swear by," a boy's voice said behind me, "Your blue eyes?"

I glanced over my shoulder to see a blonde-haired boy around my height but around Liv's age. His accent was still new to me and different. I was entranced by the... Australian-ness of it for a moment. 

The boy smirked, "Now, I see why. You have very beautiful eyes... what's your name?"

I grinned as I realised he was talking to Liv

Liv smiled politely at the boy, "My name is Olivia. And thanks for the compliment."

The boy extended a hand to her, "Aaron Asher. Nice accent, too."

My younger sister blushed. 

I quickly said, "Um, dude, could you help my sister to the office when she's ready? I need to go."

Aaron just nodded offhandedly at me before putting his full attention back on a semi-startled Liv. 

I smiled as I walked away. Hopefully, she'll make more friends than just the one. 

Walking into the brick building labelled OFFICE, I was hit with the smell of old-lady perfume. I looked to the receptionist's desk and, of course, there was an old lady. 

I approached the desk and nodded at the lady, "Hi. Today's my first day here."

"Oh, is it?" the lady replied with a beam, "You must be new to town then too! Oh, did you move into the Jacksons' old place?"