Chapter Thirty-Seven

I'd spent most of the morning driving back and forth. I'd raced past the house in one direction, only to turn back around in a few moments after. I was going fast, spinning in circles at each turn and revving loudly through the straights. I stopped the car after I saw the front door open. 

Jace poked his head out to stare at me, confused. 

I narrowed my eyes at him. Had he known that Tommy loves me? Did he help keep it a secret? 

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Jace ran down the driveway to my car window. I wound the window down, "Morning."

"Morning," he frowned, "What are you doing causing such a loud noise at seven in the bloody a.m.?"

"Thinking," I shrugged, "Do you mind?"

"Yes," he said, taking me aback, "I'm trying to sleep but your car is way too loud."

"I'm sorry that I'm trying to deal with something right now."

"Explain," Jace scowled, leaning down through the window. 

"Not much to explain."

"Okay," Jace shrugged, "Well, as long as you're out here dealing with your emotions, would you mind washing your car? You've dirtied it up."

I curled my lip at him and wound the window up, his fingers escaping just in time.

***

It was lunchtime by when I'd mustered up some emotional security to go back inside. Sure, I liked Tommy. That was obvious. He was impatient, insensitive and obnoxious but he was also kind-hearted, humorous and smart. Plus, he was good-looking. Can't argue with that. 

But he loved me? He could have been messing with my head. Or maybe he loves me like a sibling. Maybe I'm just a replacement for America. How was I supposed to know if he had been serious? 

I walked into the smell of pizza. I closed the front door behind me as Jasmine grinned sarcastically, "How nice of you to finally join us?"

I rolled my eyes and grouched, "Not in the mood for sarcasm."

"Lighten up," Jace nudged me gently in the side as I grabbed a plate of cheesy goodness. 

"What's wrong?" Jasmine cocked her head. 

I tucked my scowl back into a normal face and shrugged innocently, "Nothing's wrong."

They both went quiet. The quietness was enough for me to hear the sound of bare feet coming downstairs. I paused with my pizza halfway to my mouth. I placed it back on the plate, "On second thought, I'm not hungry."

I placed my forehead on top of my linked hands on the counter. 

I felt a shiver run up my spine when a warm hand touched my back, "What's got you in a funk?"

"I'm not in a funk," I managed to reply to Tommy. I also managed to not squirm at the shocks running up and down my back. 

Tommy scoffed, grabbing my plate of pizza with his free hand, "Yeah right. Where's your usual smile?"

I turned my head to glare up at him. 

His eyes were apprehensive but he gave me a wide, white-toothed smile, "See? It's easy. Only uses 17 muscles."

I frowned at him.

"That takes 43," he pointed to my lips, "27 more. Do you really want to do that to your facial muscles?"

I rolled my eyes.

He sighed, "Not talking to me?"

I raised my eyebrow slightly. How did I even know I hadn't assumed that answer yesterday? It could have been something entirely different... like Jace is actually the one for me or that I look like America... 

But it's most likely what I assumed. 

Tommy removed his hand from my back with a sad glance. It almost seemed disappointed. It was so sullen that I almost felt the need to stand up and hug him. Almost

Jace finally muttered when Tommy walked to the lounge, "Geez, the sexual tension in here is high."

I elbowed him in the ribs and murmured, "Shut up. I'm going to the library."

***

"You aren't reading," Tommy stated.

"I'm watching."

"Watching what?"

He walked to stand beside me at the window.

I shrugged, "Life. The sky. The trees. The little animals. The occasional kangaroo."

Tommy smirked, "And what are you accomplishing by watching it, Em?"

"Nothing," I murmured, "except for relaxation." With a sigh, I turned to face him, "Which you have now ruined."

He quickly turned to face me too and then there we were, standing with my nose an inch from his chin. 

I went to take a step back but his arm snaked around and caught my waist.

I looked up quickly to see his eyes focused on mine. Stronger with the eye contact, he whispered, "I wasn't lying."

My voice cracked, "What?"

"I... I really do love you, Emma Evans," Tommy whispered. He bent down and his forehead touched mine with his closed eye. 

"I-I..." what was I supposed to say? Do I believe him? I know I don't love him back. I don't know him well enough yet but I knew for certain that I loved him.

"Emma, tell me what you're thinking," he asked.

I murmured, "Whether I tell you I like you back or not."

"I prefer the medialler."

A small smile fought it's way to my face and I chuckled, "Then... I really, really like you too, Tommy."

His eyes opened as he gave me a sluggish smile. He drew me close enough so I could slide my arms around his neck and press my face to his chest. Tommy was as warm as a fire but comfortably so. 

Then the library door slammed open, "Emma?"

Tommy and I sprung apart from each other. Jasmine glanced quickly between our two flushing faces before demanding, "You need to see this."

***

"There has been an ordered cull on all werewolves and druids," the news reporter read, "The cull will be starting from two weeks today. The global agencies decided this on much debate but decided it was for the best to protect our people of the world."

Jace switched it off, "I can't listen to us."

"They're dehumanising you guys," Jasmine's voice squeaked. 

"What do we do?" I directed my question to Tommy.

"We run."

"Run," a young girl's voice panted from behind me. 

Lady Artemis was bent on the floor with her hands on her knees, gasping for breath like she'd run a marathon. She repeated with wide eyes, "Run. They're going to kill... all of my children... You need to run."

She looked at all of us individually, including Jasmine. 

And then she finished, "Run with me to Olympus."

***

Song: Stay - Alessia Cara. 

That's All Folks, *bites carrot*. 

No but literally, that is the END of Teenage Luna. Soon and unexpected but I wanted to sort of leave it like this. I didn't want to leave it all resolved because nothing in the world is always perfect. But here it is, the tale of three different girls that I promised from the beginning. 

xx Sharky. 

(but wait, there's still the epilogue!)