Chapter Twenty-Three

^Caraaaaaaa <3, plays America :) 

"Can we... steer away from this topic?" Will winced. 

I nodded once.

Will glanced out his large window with his cold, harsh eyes and then quietly came his question, "What is it like to be in a pack?"

I remembered faintly of memories as a kid. When Dad and Mum were happy, the whole pack was happy. When the Danes' moved here a few years ago as Rogues, Mum and Dad were more than happy to let them into the pack. 

"Home," I echoed their response from when I was ten, "It feels like home."

"Home?"

I glanced up at him, "Yeah. Everyone's there for you, supporting you... like a place of safety away from the cruel thing that is life."

"That was almost a nice sentiment," he let out a slow smile, "Except for the cruel life thing."

"It is cruel," I shrugged, "I have no choice in... anything."

"What do you mean?"

"My future's already laid out for me," I murmured, "I already know what I want to do after school. Aside from that, I have to be the Luna. There's no option out of that..."

"You don't want to be Luna?"

"Not at all. Why would I want to be a leader if I can only lead with my mate? What happened to independence?"

"To be fair," Will smirked, "I'm a pretty good mate."

I raised an eyebrow at him.

It's crazy to think that a few days ago, I was conspiring with half the pack on how to save us from the dangerous new pack. But now, they aren't even a pack and they're definitely not dangerous.

He says he was following Artemis' orders. 

But how do I believe him?

"What are you thinking about?" Will's voice cut through my thoughts.

'Believe him, America Lyra James'. 

Of course...

"Nothing much," I smiled gently at Will. 

His eyes widened. It took me a moment to realise why. I was smiling. I let out a small shake of my head at myself, the small smile turning into a full-blown grin. I'd just smiled for what felt like the first time in years.

And it was because of Will Elijah Gallagher. 

I turned to look up at the moon with wide eyes through his window. Watching it, I said quietly, "You're something special, Will Elijah."

His laugh came out in small bursts, "So, America... wanna know a few things about growing up as a rogue?"

"Why not?"

"One - don't trust anyone. Two - survive as a wolf. Three - don't leave your family behind."

"Don't one and three contradict each other?"

Will shook his head, "Always trust family."

"The three things about being in a pack?" I said aloud, "One - don't bite humans. Two - obey Lady Artemis. Three... - treat your mate as you would treat yourself."

The full moon seemed to glow impossibly brighter and the longing I'd had for Will in my bedroom earlier became thicker, consuming me. However, he was right next to me. 

There was a knock on the door, "Will? Do you have any washing?"

The voice belonged to a young girl, not old-William.