Chapter Ten

^Gif is of the amazing Kaycee Walker, played by Taylor Hill. Kaycee's one of my favourite characters but, of course, I know how she is in the end :) 

"Oh, you must try this on!" Mum thrust the hangers into my arms, "Go, go, go!"

She seemed so enthusiastic now. Probably because she was helping pick out road trip outfits for us. Liv's arms were buried under a pile of outfits Mum had chosen. Liv's knees were almost shaking as we walked into separate fitting rooms. 

I tried on a bunch of outfits, liking a very select few. Mum and I had contrastingly different styles. She liked always being over-dressed for any occasion. I preferred wearing things that are only for comfortability. 

I stepped back out and Mum instructed, "Pick two outfits."

"What?"

"I'll buy you two outfits. Now hurry up because you're getting picked up in forty-five minutes."

Liv stepped out of the second fitting room and sighed, "I didn't like any of them. I'll just wear the stuff I have at home."

"Why not?" Mum actually looked offended

Liv shrugged, "The rompers made my hips look big and the crop-top made my stomach look huge."

"Surely not," Mum rolled her eyes, "Go try on the romper and show me."

Liv frowned slightly but went without complaining. 

I began walking around the small store called Francie's - everything is named after the owners, here - leaving a few items at hand. I was just putting back a too-formal skirt when there was a tap on my shoulder, "Hi, miss. May I help you or are you just browsing today?"

I glanced over my shoulder and the once-bubbly blonde's smile turned into a frown, "Oh. It's you."

"Hi Rachael," I nodded politely.

"Hi Violet," she sighed, "So, can I help you or not?"

"You work here?"

She rolled her eyes, "Obviously. Now answer my question."

I glanced down to the items in my hand, "No, I'm good, thanks."

Rachael frowned, "Fine. Let me know if you need anything... is that a size ten?"

I glanced down to the tag of the shirt laid on top of the pile and then back up, nodding slowly, "Yeah? Why?"

Rachael sniffed sharply, "Oh... you just look bigger than that, is all."

I narrowed my eyes, "You can't get to me, Rachael. Being skinny isn't an achievement. Sometimes, it's a sickness."

She harrumphed me and flicked her hair before strutting away. 

I glanced worriedly to the fitting room door that Liv still hadn't come out from. I knocked sharply on the door, "Livvy?"

My sister mumbled, "What's up?"

"Can you show me a romper?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It looks bad."

"Surely not that bad. Just let me look."

Livvy opened the door, revealing her scowl and tear-rimmed eyes. 

I squeaked, "What's wrong?"

Liv just crossed her arms, "The stupid romper won't zip up."

She turned around so I could see the zipper. I tugged on it sharply, but it wouldn't zip. It was too tight.