Chapter Three

Gif is of Marie Smith :) AKA 'Mum'.

Okay, I know it was stupid, now. I probably shouldn't have walked into the forest alone, in a new town, without a phone. I realised that as soon as I'd walked far enough to lose my sense of direction. 

Looking up, all I could see was patches of a bright blue through the trees. It must have been at least five-thirty now, how was it still so bright? Was it that confusing daylight savings thing? 

I looked back down to where all I could see were countless trees. I spun in a full circle. I sighed and started walking again; I wouldn't get anywhere by standing still. 

I probably hadn't gone further than ten more metres when I heard a choked sob. I froze. Was it my imagination? 

I stayed completely still, not even breathing. I was ready to say I imagined it before I heard it again. I squinted and spun in another circle. My eyes caught on something and I had to do a double-take. It was a navy blue blazer, like the one I was currently wearing, hanging from a branch on a tree. I hurried to it and looked all around calling a soft, "Liv?"

Another caught sob and then, "V-Vi?"

"Where are you?" I asked, looking around wildly.

"Get up here, quick!" she shrieked.

I jumped at the intensity of her voice and looked up. She was sitting on a thick branch a few metres up from the ground, frantic. 

I didn't dare to say 'no' in her fragile state. Placing my hands on her blazer, I pulled myself up. 

Liv had probably placed her blazer there so she wouldn't get splinters. I wriggled the rest of my way up onto the branch she was sitting on. I scanned my eyes over her blotchy face, "Are you okay?"

She shook her head slowly, "Not at all..."

"What's wrong? Why did you come out kilometres into the forest?"

"The road's only about a hundred metres that way," she muttered, pointing behind her.

I sighed, "Of course it is... Anyway - explain."

"I don't know," she whispered, broken.

My breath caught and I repeated, "You don't know?"

She shook her head slowly, "I just... I wanted to see the forest."

"You weren't planning on jumping off the top of the tree, right?" I gulped.

Liv's eyes flashed to mine and she furrowed her eyebrows, "You seriously think I'm depressed en-"

She was cut off by a howl. A loud, piercing wolf howl. Our eyes froze on each other and we slowly looked down to where a grey wolf was sitting, looking up at us. 

"I-I didn't know they had wolves in A-Australia," I squeaked.

Liv whimpered, "I didn't know wolves were that big."

"They aren't."

Wolves are not that big. That wolf had to be twice the size of a normal wolf. 

"C-can wolv-v-ves climb trees?" Liv whispered.

I shook my head, "No. At least... not in the books I've read."

"Is it... waiting for us?" Liv squeaked.

I shrugged, "How am I supposed to know?"

"Do wolves kill people?"

"Yes."

"Are wolves smart?"

"Yes."

"Are wolves fast?"