Chapter Thirty-Four

"Why?" I confronted the small girl in my room, "I never did anything. I'm not doing anything and I'm not going to. You pushed me into this mess. I don't know how to get out and I'm not sure why I'm in it to begin with. I'm the Luna..." I too a deep breath, "But I'm not the Alpha's mate. Why did you do this?"

Diana - Lady Artemis - began swinging her legs from my desk and then shot me a small, surprising smile, "Because you deserve it."

"What?!" I shouted, "I've never even hurt a fly! What did I do to you?"

Diana let out a dainty laugh, "Quite the opposite! You're worthy of being a Luna."

"I'm not even his mate," I hissed, "How can I be worthy of a title created by the gods not by a personality?"

"It is your personality," Diana answered with a shrug, "You're... kind, powerful and firm. You care for others, lead others but also stick to your own beliefs. Tommy may have had a mate that wasn't you but it doesn't mean that you can't be his mate."

"That makes no sense," I argued.

"His mate was a girl called Katie," she explained, "She was... beautiful, nice to the people around her but controlling and smug. Tommy got in over his head with her and turned her. I asked him to because I knew that was the only way to save him and keep this pack alive. Tommy's hormones wouldn't have waited long enough for Katie for the war to end. But," she straightened up, "Just because his mate was Katie, doesn't mean he can't have another."

"You can't have two mates," I whispered. Right? At least, that's what I've read. Once with your mate, always with your mate.

"Oh, you can," Diana said quietly, "You're just like Katie but less arrogant and selfish. You're even more complimentary for Tommy than Katie was."

"Then why did he have Katie in the first place?"

"Because he hadn't met you," she urged, "His wolf hormones longed for you and Katie was the closest they could find. But now he's met you. You two are mates. But you were made a Luna by me because you're a good leader. You'll know how to make the Blue Heart pack survive."

I nodded extremely slowly. 

Then my eyes shifted to her, "So, I'm Tommy's mate?"

"Yes, Emma," she whispered.

I dragged my knees to my chest in wonder. 

I was the mate of a werewolf. Correction - I was the human mate of a werewolf. 

***

Diana disappeared later that night. No, she didn't just go poof. She actually just walked out of the front door, startling the boys and disappearing into the night. 

"Care to tell us what that was about?"

I glanced up at Jace. I paused and then quickly shook my head. I probably shouldn't be telling Jace or Tommy about the conversation I just had. Tommy narrowed his eyes at me before turning his attention back to the TV set. Jace wasn't as easily disregarded. He raised an eyebrow before saying, "Tell us what that was about."

His voice was oddly dark but calm. In that moment he scared me more than Tommy had. 

I shivered before shaking my head, "It was a private conversation."

"About?" Jace kept going. 

This guy wouldn't give up.

"About Lunas' periods," I shut him up, "Do you really want to know all the details?"

Jace sunk back into the couch with a scowl on his face. It was the first time I'd ever been annoyed with Jace Collins. 

Tommy glanced from the TV to me, "Can you please order a pizza or something?"

"You do it," I shrugged, leaning back into the armchair. 

Tommy surprisingly smiled at me. It was sweet, affectionate. His eyes lit up ever so slightly. "Pleeease?"

I blinked once. Twice. Then shook my head, "I said no."

He sighed, "Fine."

He slowly stood up and made a move towards the kitchen. 

As soon as Tommy was out of earshot, Jace glared at me, "Tell me the real conversation."

"Why do you care?" I shook my head at him. 

"Because anything to do with you has to do with the pack."

"I still have a private life beyond the three of us," I scathed. 

"Emma," he hissed quietly, "What did Lady Artemis say to you?"

I crossed my arms, "It's complicated, Jace. Can we please... just not talk about this?"

Jace muttered something beneath his breath that I didn't quite catch. 

Tommy must have heard it though because I heard a faint sigh from the kitchen. Then he called, "Jace, there's someone outside."

Just as he said that, Jace's eyes narrowed at the front door. We all went silent. 

Then, there was the very, very quiet noise of something cracking. Soon, many things were cracking and popping; the sound became louder as it got madder. 

I was the first to move, rushing to the front door and examining outside. I heard, "Justin! Run!" just as my eyes caught the main attraction. 

Those idiots started a bush fire.

It was still small. Relatively calm. It was barely two meters tall yet and only stretched about three meters in depth and breath. 

I snapped into action as a large branch fell to the ground, "Guys! I need help!"

I ran to the hose and tried to untangle it from the hook but it wouldn't move. I pulled at it again when a hand clasped over my struggling ones. 

Tommy shouted over the noise of the fire, "The water won't do anything!"

"Then what do we do?" I yelled back at him.

Tommy examined the fire and I could see a million thoughts flying through his head, before he took a quick step forward, "There's someone out there."

"What?" I whispered.

He nodded slowly, "Someone's there..."

I glimpsed into the fire, "Where?! Can we save them?"

He narrowed his eyes at the fire in thought, "I can hear the person breathing. Definitely human. Alive. But... subdued. They're unconscious but not in pain."

"But they're in the fire."

Tommy nodded slowly, "Which means they can be saved..."

"How do we do that then?!" 

Before I knew it, Tommy was sliding out of his shirt. If not for the dire situation at hand, I could have looked at that all day. He tossed it to me and began breathing deeply, looking at the fire. 

I pieced it together just as he morphed. The faint blonde wolf ran into straight into the fire before I could even let out a scream. 

I screamed ater him but it was too late. 

He'd already run deep into the fire. 

***

Song: Lanterns - Birds of Tokyo

Full on chapter, hey? 

Sorry for the slowish update but school term started back this week. 

xx Sharky.