Chapter Two

Gif is of Liv :) 

It was when the first bell went that I closed my book and put my pen away but a girl next to me giggled and whispered, "What are you doing?"

"Wasn't that the bell?" I raised an eyebrow.

She sighed, "This is a double."

"What's a double?"

"A double period," she rolled her eyes, "It goes for the first and second period."

"Oh," I said numbly, "Fun."

I unpacked my things and got my book back out. 

Thankfully, the next time the bell went, we were able to leave. I packed my things away into my bag - they chose not to have lockers at this school for some reason - and hooked it over my shoulder. 

Jeremy, the boy from before class, reached my desk and beamed at me, "So I was wondering if, because you're new and stuff, if you needed anyone to sit with?"

"With... at what?" I cocked my head. Right now I felt completely out-of-place. I had an old regime that I stuck to and now that was unstuck. 

"At recess," Jeremy said. 

My gaze shifted to see Ezra leaning against his desk. We were the last three in here. Ezra didn't look as shy anymore but, instead, he was intensely glaring at his feet as if there was something there other than the floor. 

"Violet?" Jeremy repeated, "Did you wanna sit with us at recess or what?"

"Oh, sorry," I zoned back to his question, "Uh, I already told two people this morning that I'd... sit with them."

"Oh," he looked slightly taken aback, "O-okay..."

I smiled shyly as I walked past them, out of the classroom, "Thanks, though."

True to their word, Kristy and Mark were standing under the shade of a massive tree. Kristy seemed to be blabbering on about something whilst Mark threw her furtive glances every now and then. 

I approached them, hearing the end of Kristy's sentence, "-texting me through Maths. Apparently, Jeremy Asher and that weird friend of his tried to talk to Violet."

"What's wrong with that?" Mark sighed loudly.

"You tell me," she rolled her eyes dramatically, "I thought you were the one that didn't want to interact with those two."

"Things change," he muttered.

"What things?" she narrowed her eyes on her boyfriend. 

I chose this moment to give Mark a 'saved by the bell' moment and walked up, "Hey, you two."

Kristy turned a brilliant smile on me, "Violet. So you are gonna hang out with us?"

"That's why I'm here," I chuckled softly.

"Cool," Kristy said, "I heard that you were invited to sit with Asher and his friend. Lucky you didn't bail on us."

"Why's that lucky?" I cocked my head. It almost sounded like a death threat, the way she'd said it.

"Because they're total geeks," she shuddered, "They just barely made it onto the rugby team this year."

Mark let out a short sigh, "Ezra's actually pretty good at rugby, Kris."

Kristy crossed her arms, "Yeah but he's not the captain, is he?"

Mark narrowed his eyes at her but remained silent.