Chapter Twelve

Soz about the tablaeux the video is on, haha. 

^ Gif is of VIOLET! 

I slipped out of the tent into the warm night. The howl was still faintly echoing off the trees around the bush. I watched the tent across from me open up and Kaycee stepped out. 

She rubbed her eyes and then they landed on me. Kaycee whispered with wide eyes, "Do you hear that?"

The sound was fading out now but I nodded distractedly, "Yeah."

She approached me and looked around, "What was it?"

I pressed my lips together before answering, "It sounded like a wolf howl."

"A wolf howl? But Ezra and Aaron were supposed to be back ages ago."

I glanced to her to see she was staring at her watch under the light of the almost full moon. 

I asked, "Are the boys in their tents?"

I approached Ezra's tent and unzipped the fly, only to find an empty bed.

I took a step back in urgency, "They're not there. Kaycee..."

Kayc sighed loudly, "They're in trouble, aren't they?"

Another alarming howl rang loudly and I felt my entire body freeze over. Slowly, my eyes went in the direction it came from. 

Kaycee shouted, "Come on!"

We had to find the boys. 

Kaycee began walking slowly towards the bush. I moved to follow after her. We walked towards the line of trees as a third howl hit the sky tonight. This one was more urgent, calling for desperate attention. Something was definitely wrong...

I began running in the direction of the howls, pushing past Kaycee. My breathing sped up, worried for what could be ahead. I could feel the heat pick up around me violently as I ran. Was the night always this warm in Australia? 

I stopped finally after losing any sense of direction. I couldn't see Kaycee or the two lycanthropes I was searching for. 

Yet another howl hit my ears and I took a thankful breath before taking another run in that direction. However... the sight that laid in front of me made everything boil over. 

"Ezra!" I screeched, running to the boy in the bushes. Aaron was pacing around the bush in his jeans. 

Kaycee ran in and began calming down Aaron, "What's wrong with Ezra?!"

Aaron shrugged, "He's being a dick. Knocked himself unconscious."

The boy's torso just stuck out of the shrubs, his lower half covered by it. He was draped to the side across it, unconscious. I smoothed back Ezra's dark brown hair to inspect his face. He almost looked like he was sleeping. 

"Ezra?" I repeated, hesitantly.

I watched his chest rise and fall extremely slowly. He was alive, at least. I repeated his name again, watching as his eyes twitched. 

He was awake. 

They opened and he croaked, "Vi?"

"Ez, are you hurt?" Kaycee called.

Ezra began to shake his head but with the motion, he changed. His body shrunk in and then grew, growing fur and morphing into another species. 

The large brown wolf had taken Ezra's place. The wolf twisted and squirmed in the spot in the bushes and nipped at my hand, making me jump back. The wolf let out a loud growl, glaring at me.