Chapter Twenty-Eight

^Couldn't choose a person so... here is SHELDON COOPER! 

Breakfast the next day was, nonetheless, awkward. 

Mum, Dad, Dylan, Kota and I were practically conspiring against Tommy. And I was pretty sure that he knew about it, too. The twins didn't say a word during the meal. 

Dylan, at one point, cheerfully asked, "Pass the juice, America?"

I smiled gently down at my eight-year-old brother for lightening the situation as I reached to pass him the juice. Tommy's hand jolted and the carton was knocked out of my hand. He stood up quickly, "I'll get a tea towel."

I set the half-empty carton down on the table after picking it up from the floor. 

After a moment's pause, Mum rushed to get up, "Wait, Tommy, you need a washcloth! Not a tea towel!"

She ran out of the room too. 

Tommy had definitely done that on purpose.

Dylan muttered, "All I wanted was some juice."

***

Five hours later, Tommy was nowhere to be found. The twins' room was half-empty, the house showed no sign of him, the court only had a few little kids and their parents. My phone rang in my pocket as I turned away from the court. 

"Dakota?" I asked as I picked up.

"He's not at the school and he's not at the park."

"Anyone checked anyone else's houses?"

"They would have notified us," Kota reasoned, "But I'll make a runthrough."

"I'll check Katie's and the shops on Old Folk Road."

I hung up on him and began sprinting from the court to Old Folk Road. I passed Rosie's, and then almost skidded past the French restaurant. I gripped the doorframe to turn myself around. I rushed into the Massey's place and the woman at the seating booster yelped, "C-can I help you?"

"I need to speak to Katie."

"Go on upstairs then," the lady smiled, "My daughter should be in her bedroom."

I nodded at her and then hurried around the tables and bounced up the stairs. I called out, "Katie?"

A door to my right flung open in surprise, "America?"

"Have you seen Tommy?"

"No," she shook her head slowly, "I've been avoiding him."

Where on Earth could he be?

"What's wrong?" Katie asked.

"Tommy's missing," I answered stoutly, "Don't go anywhere. If something goes wrong... contact Will or I. Or Kota."

Katie's wide eyes followed me as I ran back downstairs. 

"Thanks!" I called to her mum as I ran out the door. 

I peeked in all the stores down Old Folk Road. 

I called Kota back, "Found him?"

"No," Kota breathed out, "He's not at the Danes' or either of the Asher's."

"Have you checked the Collins'?"

"I'll meet you there," Kota said before hanging up.

***

"Jace is missing too?" I whispered, struck.

Laney Collins nodded with a tear-streaked face, "We only just realised..."

Kota and I struck each other a glance.

"Laney," I asked quietly, "When was the last time you saw Jace?"

"This morning at breakfast."

"Was he acting odd?"

"He was a bit quieter than usual but I had just assumed it was the morphing," Laney murmured, "What if he's... what if he's in trouble?"

Kota whispered, "I know exactly what Tommy's done."

"What, Kota?"

Laney cocked her head at him, "What does he have to do with Jace?"

"Tommy's run away," Kota murmured, "And... Jace has gone with him."

***

Tommy

There's a lot of things I'm not proud of in my shitty life. This, though, was the worst.

"Richmond?" Jace echoed on the bus.

I'd taken control of a morphing twelve-year-old werewolf and was to up and move to Richmond; all under Artemis' instructions. 

"Yeah," I nodded slowly, "There's a children's youth centre there that we can go to for a while before we have enough resources to move again."

Artemis had told me, 'I have my reasons. Everything has a cause and effect. What I'm about to do... is for the better.'

But if I had known the reason before I'd left with Jace... I'd never have abandoned my pack. 

***

Song: Ghost Town - Adam Lambert

Another short chapter but the reason is that Part Two is now finished. Get ready for part threeeeeeeee. 

Shoutout to Bamagranna for her comment last chapter. You rock, Alabama Grandma :)  

xx Sharky.