Chapter Thirty

Days off of school back in primary school and the early days of high school never really mattered. However, in Year Eleven - they matter. After my doctor's appointment, I spent all day drowsy on legal drugs trying to keep up with the work my teachers were sending me, despite my mum's obligations to sleep. 

A knock on the door at midday distracted me from my work. I stood up weakly and walked into the entrance hall as Mum called, "Can you get that, Emma?!"

I pulled on the doorknob and looked from the floor up. Leather school shoes. Black school pants. Untucked white boys' shirt. Pale face. 

Jace Collins. 

I gave him an awkward smile, "Hi. Can I help you?"

He nodded, "I saw you yesterday."

"What?" I took an involuntary step back. Was he in the tree?

"At lunch, at school," he clarified quickly, "Well, actually I heard you."

"Oh... that," I looked down, "I'm sorry for bringing it up."

"No, that's not it at all," Jace hurried, "We wanted to thank you for standing up for us... sort of."

"We?" I repeated, looking back up at him.

Jace glanced over his shoulder. Past him, on the pathway, a fair distance from the house, stood Tommy James. Relaxed with his hands in his pockets. 

I looked back to Jace when he did to me. I nodded slowly, "It was nothing. I started it in the first place anyway."

"You just asked a valid question," Jace shrugged, "No harm in that. Still, thanks."

He offered me a genuine smile before walking away. I began to close the door before Jace's voice stopped me, "Wait, Emma!"

I opened the door back open, "Yeah?"

Jace glanced to Tommy and then back to me, "Would you possibly like to come to Rosie's with Tommy and I?"

Frozen. Now, I was finally thankful for the stupid stomach bug.

"Sorry, I'm actually sick," I said, yawning, "Maybe another time."

I closed the door. 

I'd just been asked to Rosie's by two werewolves? How...? More importantly; why?

***

"You're alive!" a high-pitched voice shrieked and a small person wrapped their arms around me, two days later.

I sucked in a breath, "Get off, Bella."

She held me at arms' length, "You're not contagious, right?"

"No," I confirmed.

Bella grinned, "Perfect. You up for Rosie's this afternoon?"

No.

"Sure," I shrugged reluctantly, "I'll have nothing better to do."

Bella scowled, "You should be coming because you want to, Em. I'm not forcing you into anything."

"I know," I smiled lightly at her. 

Bella's expression transformed, "Come on! Justin's been pestering me all week about you!" She tugged me in the direction of his group.

Sure, he has.

I faked a smile, "I'm coming."

My eyes trailed to the detention block. 

Jace's eyes were friendly on mine. I held his eyes for a long moment before he grinned. I smiled back.

***