Chapter Twenty-Six

^Gif of Katie Massey, played by Erika Bierman. 

Things were slowly starting to look up for the Blue Heart pack. We were active again, we had a bigger pack and we were stronger than ever. Lea and Sharon had fully mastered their druid powers. Katie had never come to a pack meeting but Tommy assured me that all was fine. Kye was being quite mature about the whole thing. Will and I were even beginning to be good friends. Hours of tutoring and talking about werewolf stuff sort of bonded us so the pack was happy. 

But then a few things changed dramatically.

***

Jace Collins has always been a sweet kid. He's twelve, almost thirteen - the right age for him to become a werewolf. His family joined our pack several years ago when they moved away from the big city. 

Jace has shown signs of the evolution over the past few weeks but nothing serious. Until Aimee ran inside from the backyard crying, four weeks after Tommy's problem at the hospital. Alyssa ran after her with Josh whilst Will and I stayed in the living room. The next person to run inside was Jace, pale and stricken-faced. 

I narrowed my eyes, "Everything okay, Jace?"

He jumped at the sound of my voice and gulped, "L-luna..."

I stood up and took a step toward him, gently, "Are you alright?"

He flinched away at my hand on his shoulder. He looked down to his hand and then back up to me , whispering, "I just hit Aimee..."

Jace hit Aimee?

"D-did you mean to? Hit her, I mean?" I stumbled for words.

Jace took a few deep breaths, not answering me but then he did, "It just... it happened so fast. One moment, she was slapping me playfully on the arm for making her laugh, the next moment my fist is rammed into her stomach..."

So she slapped him and he reacted without thought...

Temper management.

"Jace," I said quietly, "Go talk to Will. I'm going to check on Aimee, okay?"

Jace nodded slowly, still ashen. 

I turned for the stairs and bounded up them. The parents in the living room didn't have a clue of what's been going on. Lea and Kye were probably still in the backyard and Sharon, Molly and Katie hadn't turned up for the barbeque suggested by Uncle Aaron. 

I entered Aimee's room, "Guys?"

Alyssa and Josh quickly vacated the room. Aimee was crying on her bed. I sat down beside her, "Are you okay?"

"He... he hit me," she pointed her gaze up at me, "Jace hit me. My best friend!"

I offered her a rare smile of mine, "If I had a dollar for everytime Kota and Tommy had hit me whilst they were morphing, I'd be on a Forbes list."

Aimee winced, "So it's gonna happen more than once?"

"Sadly," I shrugged.

There was silence.

"You really think he's morphing?" Aimee cocked her head.

I nodded, "But let's put it into perspective; once he morphs, you'll see if the two of you really are mates."

Aimee nodded slowly but then, "How did you know I liked him?"

I let out a small laugh, "I'm the Luna. I know the emotions everyone in the pack has for each other."

Aimee cut me a sly smile, "Even how Will feels for you?"

My smile fell. I shrugged uncomfortably, "An Alpha has more power than a Luna so no..."