Chapter Twenty

^Pic is of Jacob Hopkins who plays Tommy. :D

Rewritten as of 09/04/17; 1.25pm AEST. 

Twenty hours later and I was doing no better. I was standing outside my first ADP class, tapping a foot against the floor in pace. It was 1pm and the full moon was due to start rising at 5pm. Those would be when my first signs of reactions came.

The door in front of me creaked open and I looked up. Young Miss Tole gave me a small smile, "Come on in, sweetie. We don't bite."

As I moved to follow her in, she looked down in thought and then back up, "Well, most of us."

I could take them anyway, I thought. 

But as I stepped into the classroom, I rethought that. Most of the class consisted of people in Year Twelve; mainly guys. So not only were they two years older than me but they had muscles twice as big as mine. 

Miss Tole gestured for me to take a seat, "That seat's for you, deary."

Slowly, I walked forward to take the seat. A guy behind me whispered, "Innocent little girl in ADP?"

Another guy wolf-whistled before laughing out, "She mustn't be as innocent as she looks."

"Boys," Miss Tole glared meaningfully at them, "This is America James. She's in Year Ten."

"Year Ten?" A boy snapped, "This program's for twelfth graders only."

"She's taking a twelfth-grade course," Miss Tole explained, "So, technically, she's also a twelfth grader."

"What course?"

"Extension II Mathematics," I answered numbly, "Miss, what's the point of this class, if I may ask?"

"To teach y'all manners," she smiled gently back, "or, if you aren't here for that, how to communicate amongst your peers."

She turned to face the board as the tardy bell rang, "Aha! And yet again, the same two boys are late."

A pair of boys walked in as she finished her sentence. One owning the name of William Gallagher.

He paused momentarily as his eyes fell on me before asking, "What are you doing in this class, America?"

I simply narrowed my eyes at him.

This seemed to aggravate him. His cold eyes became even colder and darker as he slammed his hands down on the desk in front of me. He hissed, "Answer me, America."

I gave him a scowl, "If I knew why I was here, I wouldn't be here."

"Sit down, William," Miss Tole ordered, "And, what do you mean by that, America?"

I crossed my legs beneath the desk and shrugged, "Just that if I knew what I'd really done wrong, I'd have fixed it by now. But I don't so instead, I'm stuck here... no offense."

Miss Tole tutted slightly at me before clapping her hands together, "Today's lesson: telling the truth. Easier said than done. Trent, you're my demonstrator."

The boy behind me let out a loud grunt.

"What's your full name?"

"Trent McHenry," he sighed.

"What did you do to get into ADP?"

Silence.

"Exactly," Miss Tole smiled, though his reaction was opposite to the lesson, "A name is characterised into a person. It's not something you technically own because everyone uses it, right? But as soon as a question refers to something you do own, like your beliefs, experiences or talents, you question your own answer. For instance, America, what religion are you?"