14

"Maddie," Ashton said as he walked towards me. We were all currently sitting in Zoey's kitchen while she and I made cupcakes. They were currently in the oven and I was sitting down at the table while Danny and Zoey chatted closer to the island in the middle of her kitchen. I couldn't help but let my mind wander to all the events that have occurred recently. "Madison," Ashton repeated louder this time causing me to snap out of my daze.

"Yes? I'm sorry, totally lost in thought," I explain softly, shaking my head.

"I was wondering if you wanted to... maybe catch up?" He asked, reaching for my hand.

"Um, yeah sure," I said, taking his hand. Zoey sent me a wink and waved slightly. Ashton led me out to Zoey's backyard. I looked at the soft green grass and then the big fluffy clouds scattered around in the vast sky. 

After standing quietly for a moment I turn to Asthon. "So what's been happening with you?" I ask.

"Not much, I guess. I'm going to be honest with you, I've really missed you. I've missed you so fucking much and I forgave Danny. Now I hope you're willing to forgive me for all the stupid and mean shit I've said to you over our short friendship. I know I'm asking a lot, and you've given me so many chances but I just want us to be friends no matter what..." Ashton said, being real and vulnerable with me for once in his life.

"I forgive you, Ashton. I however don't think we'll ever be dating material though, I'm scared that it'll go downhill if we ever got together. I can't handle any more pain like that, I'm pretty unstable right now if you think about it. I don't think I should be in a relationship period right now, so friendship sounds pretty good," I explain with a smile. Ashton caused me a lot of pain and I'm not sure I fully trust him right now but he freed me so he does deserve another chance. 

"Thank you, Madi, I'm so grateful for this chance and I promise I won't waste it. Whatever you need, or whatever makes you comfortable, I'll follow and do!" Ashton exclaimed, excitement spreading through his features. I let out a soft giggle before wrapping my arms around his waist. Even when he was a dick, which was many times, he was truly a sweetheart inside. I'm sure the trauma he's been through made him create a shell of himself, just like I had.

"So wanna stay out here or go back in?" I asked as we pulled apart. 

"We can do whatever you'd like," Ashton said with a smile.

"Let's go back in," I said, feeling much less anxious than before. "Everything is changing and I'm growing up. I'm just nervous to see how all my relationships develop now. Danny and I weren't that close before but will we get close? And you and I, we're so unpredictable, ya know?" 

"Its okay to be nervous. It comes naturally," He said with a breathy laugh.

"So you were nervous to even come out here with me?" I asked with a small chuckle. He let out a small laugh as well and nodded his head.

"You're very scary, ya know?" He said, squeezing his hands together. Once our laughter died down I lead him back into Zoey's house. As soon as we got into the house Danny and Zoey's eyes both went straight to our interlocked hands. A low 'oo' came from Zoey's mouth and Danny's fist balled.