29

"I'm sorry for you loss," The doctor said again after they pulled the plug. He gave us a tight smile and left the room.

Danny died with his mom and dad holding his hands, and his girlfriend at the foot of the bed, and his friends standing around him. Cam stood back, but held my hand the whole time. Tears were rolling down everyone's cheeks. Cam squeezed my hand tightly.

After each of us said our goodbyes we left the room and went to the parking lot.

We were all in the parking lot getting ready to leave. I was standing on the sidewalk. "Hey, Mrs and Mr. Green," I called, as they were getting in the car. Mrs. Green was sobbing, and Mr. Green was barely holding it together. I ran over to their little green Ford Focus, ironic, huh? "If there's anything I can do, like bring you a dinner, clean your house, anything at all, please give me a call. I said handing them a paper. "I'm going back to Cali in a week. But even then I'd do anything for Danny, so just call me. Anytime." I said, holding back tears.

"Thank you, d-dear. My D-Danny was an amazing little guy," Mrs. Green started crying even harder, if it was possible. Then Mr. Green lost it.

"Can I drive you guys home? Wouldn't that be more safe?" I said, sighing.

"Probably, but I don't care." Mr. Green said, tears pouring down his face.

"But I do," I said, pushing him to the back. "Cam, follow me and we can leave from there, I wanna take you somewhere." He nodded, and got into his aunts car.

After I'd dropped them at home I drove Cam's aunt's car to the surprise location.

"Close your eyes, I'll lead you." I said, covering his eyes because I didn't trust him.
We walked about a hundred feet. The sun was setting so this was perfect. "Now I've seen some gorg sunsets in Cali, but this is my favorite place ever. It's my escape." I said, removing my hands.

"Wow..." He whispered. "Just wow." He said, almost breathless. "Hey Maddie, I know that you just experienced one of the hardest things in life but I really wanna do something." He said, moving me in front of him and attacked my lips. I kissed him back with all the frustration I had. I kissed him as hard as I could, trying to show him just how much I love him.

"Oh fuck, I love you so much." I whispered, pulling away and resting my head on his shoulders.

"Hey," He said, getting something out of his pocket. "Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked, so causally. He was holding a necklace. It said, better half.

"Obviously." I smiled. "You're one of the only things that makes me smile." I kissed his cheek. "I love you with all my heart." I said, turning around so he could put the necklace on me. He placed it so delicately and clasped it. "Just one quick question, why does it say better half?"

"I was hoping you'd say yes, and I have on the other half." He said, showing me his half. 'you are my' it read.

"You are my better half, and I love you very much, boyfriend." I said, not being able to hide my smile. "You make even the worst days slightly better, and I will never be able to repay you."

"Just promise not to leave me and that's payment enough, girlfriend."

"I couldn't image life without you." I said, kissing him. He picked me up, I wrapped my legs around his waist. He slipped his tongue into my mouth. "EW!" I said, laughing and pulling away from him.

"What you talking 'bout, girl?" He said laughing, pushing me up against a rock. "My tongue likes being in your mouth." He said winking.

"That's gross though."

"I don't care," He whined. I licked his cheek.

"How's that for caring?"

"I don't careeee." He whined again, then licked my cheek.

"EW." I screeched again. Wiping my cheek. Even though I truly didn't care.

"God, I love you." He said in a happy sigh.

It had been about a week and we were back in Cali. Ashton was still a wreck, but Zoey could handle it. After all, she did handle me for basically my whole life. That must have been hell.

Cam had been being the best boyfriend ever. He always made sure I was taken care of and it was the cutest thing ever. I've been trying to tell him how I feel and not just ignore the pain of Danny. I loved that kid. He was like my best friend. He let me live with him, even though he was an asshole I still loved him. He was gonna go places, as soon as he got his anger in check. I bet that Ella chick would have helped him. Every crazy man just needs a even crazier woman to help him get himself in check.

"Hey girlfriend," Cam said coming onto the balcony. "What are you thinking about?"

"Danny."

"Oh." He said in a comforting tone.

"It's good though. I was just thinking about his anger issues. Maybe Ella would have turned him into a better man. Just like he would have turned her into a even better woman. Like you. You turned me into a better woman and I think your already a good man, but I think I helped?" I said, ending with a questioning tone. I didn't want to offend him, he's been so amazing to me lately.

"Yeah." He said with a big smile. "I love you, you have turned me into a better man. And I'm sure you'll continue to make me a better man. It's one of the many reasons I love you so much."

"I love you too, boyfriend." I said with a wink.

"Anyway, I came out here to tell you dinners ready. Also aren't you freezing, its super chilly out here."

"No, not really." I said with a shrug.

"Crazy! Crazy I tell you!" He yelled as he walked into the house.

"What did you make? I'm starved." I said following him into the house.

"Peas."

"I HATE PEAS!" I screamed.

"I'm kidding, gosh woman."

"Good, I actually do hate peas."

"I made chicken and mashed potatoes."

"OH! My fav!" I said, running ahead of him into the kitchen.

"I know, that's why I made it!"

"I'm so the luckiest girlfriend in the world." I smiled.

And I definitely am.