Present

Three months later...

"And that's the last one," Devon says as she claps her hands together. A grin plasters my face before I go and embrace her into a huge hug. She smells like Josh and I can only chuckle at the thought of them lasting forever, growing old, and even having kids together, I'm glad they found each other. I take one last walk around the spacious one bedroom apartment  that's been my home for the last three years, the whole thing seemed bigger now that my things where no longer there, especially the seven guitars that took up the majority of the living room wall. It felt good knowing I was going back home, back to where I belong, where I felt I had a sense of purpose. "well the last pod just left... now you better get going before I put that tracker back on you and make you stay" Devon laughs lightly, but her voice suddenly catches and tears form in her eyes "I'm glad you're going back home, I really am chase..... just don't forget to call and write, promise you won't forget about me or josh" her shoulders shake and tears stream down her face. I grabbed them and looked in her now puffy eyes "Never Dev, I couldn't forget about the one person who's been there to pick up my broken pieces," I embraced her like my life depend on it. She calmed down and looked up at me "you'll do amazing things up there at the University of Washington," she said this while mustering up the best smile possible, her eyes that once contained sadness was now replaced with hope and confidence, confidence that her best friend will be the best pediatric endocrinologist out there. Once I had come to terms with what happened to me and Abby I decided that I'd rather fall in love with the amazing children that have to fight type one diabetes each day; so I started my journey of getting into the University of Washington to do just that, and two months later I was accepted. A knock at the door snapped me out of my thoughts, I walked over to the door and opened it slowly, peering out I looked first to the right, nothing, then to my left, and there someone turned the corner and disappeared. I went to follow but that's when I almost tripped on something, I looked down to see what the object that almost tripped me was, I picked it up and was puzzled. "Hey Dev come check this out" she came and looked at it too; it was a tiny red box with a bow on top. "Well don't just stand there, open it up and see what is" Devon said impatiently.  I slowly unraveled the bow and opened the box, and sitting there with a note attached to it, was my Grandmothers ring. A lumped formed in my throat, and tears formed at the corner of my eyes, not because it was my grandmothers ring, but because it belonged to the last person I gave it too; Abby.  Devon rubbed my back gently "I'm sorry chase, especially since she did it on the last day before you left, wait, what does this note say?" She picked it up and read it out loud: Chase, I didn't know how to give this back too you, but I know I don't deserve it. Especially since I know what a wonderful woman she was, I knew you where leaving, and I figured today was the day. Stay safe, smile always, and give that ring to the person who's truly meant for you. -Abby. I looked at the beautiful two carrot diamond ring that sat on it's sterling silver necklace, and that's when it hit me. "Devon come here, take this for now, and only give it back when i find the girl who is truly my one and only, give it back when I find the one." I draped the necklace and ring around her neck and locked it around her, letting it rest on her chest "Chase... I don't know what too say... thank you so much," She hugged me one last time then started  pushing me towards the door. "Alright... well don't be a stranger, and I swear to god if I don't get a call at least twice a week I will come up there myself and kick your ass" she said this while pointing and glaring. I laughed at her representation of being "strict" and patted her head knowing it would irritate her "I swear I'll call at least twice a week, and I'll come down for winter break I swear." She shook her head in acknowledgement as I started my motorcycle, the engine roaring to life. "I love you chase" Devon said over the engine "I love you to Dev." I started to pull out of the spot towards the highway, and I looked over my shoulder to see Devon and my whole past staring at me, but as i looked forward, my whole future was staring back,waiting for me.