Chapter 40

It was still dark outside but the birds had started to chirp indicating that it will be morning soon. Cole yawned cutely and snuggled further into his father's lap. It's been hours since they both have been sitting on the studio floor.

Liam was almost finished with the painting but his hand started to cramp up. He dropped the brush and squeezed his hand to ease the stiffness in his muscle. Cole glanced up at his father's uncomfortable expression.

Without any hesitation he grabbed that old man's and started to massage it. His tiny fingers digging into the stiff muscle.

"What are you doing?" Liam grinned at his boy's cute action.

He leaned down and placed his chin on top of Cole's head.

"Mum does this for me when my hand gets tired from writing." Cole answered.

The little boy looked back at his father and flashed him an adorable smile. Liam's heart almost jumped out of his chest to the floor at the affection he was receiving.

"Hmm..." Liam hummed in the back of his throat.

His face muscle stretched as if to remind him that he has not stopped smiling for the past few hours.

"Better?" Cole asked.

Liam turned the boy in arms. He grinned and pushed his head in Cole's neck. He nipped at the boy's neck playfully.

"S-stop." Cole giggled and squealed in his father embrace.

The old man's beard tickled his neck and face only to make the boy laugh even harder. His voice echoed the room.

Liam laughed and dropped back on the floor with Cole still laughing in his arms. Cole sat on top of his father's chest and grinned mischievously.

His tiny hands cupped Liam's face on either side and fisted his soft beard. For some reason Cole really liked playing with his father's beard.

The boy was absolutely mesmerized by the old man's ability to grow facial hair. It was a total opposite to her mother's soft skin and that intrigued him to explore further.

Liam placed his hands under his head as he grinned up at his boy playing with his beard. So far it has been one of the best nights of his life.

"You like my beard?" Liam asked. He chuckled at the fascination on his son's face.

"Yes." Cole answered hands digging into his beard.

"Funny, your mum never liked it. She always said it tickled too much." Liam told the little boy.

He remembered how he had shave every week back in high school  because Abby would throw a fit about his beard tickling her when he kissed her.

"You knew mum from before?" Cole asked. His eyes dilating in surprise at the old man's words. 

"Yes, even before you were born." Liam laughed at his son's innocence. 

Everything still felt like a dream to him but he was willing to take this chance. Now that he had a taste of what it felt to have a family, to have Cole and Abby in his life, he was prepared to fight for them until his last breath.

After a few minutes, Cole finally stopped playing with Liam's beard. The old man unconsciously pouted like a child. He wanted Cole to keep playing with him. A fear engulfed his heart at Cole's serious expression.

His heart jerked painfully in his chest. Was he being rejected again? Was Cole done with him? Did he do something wrong again to push him away? The questions bombarded his mind one after an other.