Chapter 46

Darkness filled the room and the only source of light was the moon occasionally peaking through the heavy dark clouds.

The weather outside was cold and gloomy just like the inside. A man stood near the big French window. With his hands stuffed into his pants pockets, his intense gaze remained fixated on the darkness of the night.

He appeared to be deep in his thought but even the slightest movement behind him rattled his heart like a drum.

He often looked over his shoulder to check on the two most important people in his life asleep on the bed and then want back to gazing outside blankly.

Abby stirred in her sleep.

She slowly opened her eyes.

Cole. Where is Cole?

It was the first thought that crossed her mind. Panicking, she quickly blinked her eyes to adjust to the darkness in the bedroom and tried to get up from the bed only to noticed that her son was sleeping right next to her.

She took a deep breath to see that Cole was absolutely okay.

"You are awake?" Liam asked softly.

His voice was hoarse and low as if he was extremely fatigued.

Abby turned her head to look at him as he turned away from the window and slowly made his way towards her.

Even in the darkness of the night, she could tell that he was tired and had not slept for days but she didn't dare ask.

"Hmm..." she replied back meekly and tried to sit up but her body was stiff all over and she couldn't do it.

Before she could even say anything, Liam was quietly beside her.

"May I?" He asked in a barely audible voice.

What's wrong with him?

Abby thought.

She was shocked and stared at the man before her with wide eyes.

Was he the same arrogant, selfish, barbaric man from before?

It did not seem so.

For the first time in his life, he was asking permission to be near her.

Did she finally manage to achieve her goal and scared the man away for good?

But for some reason the thought made her unhappy and she shook her head to rid of that weird thought.

Why would she be unhappy? Its not like she liked the man and was desperate for his touch.

She shook her head stubbornly and tried to get up on her own but her body gave away and she fell back on the bed.

Liam saw her fall back down on the bed, however he didn't dare to make a move.

Although, every cell in his body twitched to embrace her in his arms, he clenched his hands into tight fists on either side of the body to prevent himself from lunching forward and holding her.

"May I?" He asked again.

Abby sighed irritably. If he wanted to help, he should just help.

What the fuck is wrong with him asking her permission all of sudden, she growled at him in her head.

She stared at the man for few seconds and when she saw that he had no intentions of landing a helping hand anytime soon, she nodded her head at him angrily.

Stepping forward, Liam wrapped his arms around her back and legs and helped Abby into a comfortable sitting position, against the headboard.

"H-ho..." she tried to speak but her throat felt scratchy and a glass of water was stretched to her.