1- Let it Flow

| Compton, California |
1981
Rhyon

Imagine...

You and I alone tonight

Holding one another tight

Warmth against the cooling night

Waiting for the morning's light...

I scribbled into my pink and white composition notebook, chewing on the top of my pencil.

I've been sitting downstairs in my living room writing this poem for the past fifteen-minutes and this all I could come up with.

"Rhyon", I heard my mom say without me looking up from my notebook.

"Mhm"

I didn't even bother to look up at her, until I felt her brown eyes, piercing me through my face. I slowly looked up and gave a half-smile.

"Yes ma?"

"You crazy or something?", my mom asked me as she raised her left eyebrow and planting her hand on her hip.

I looked around my dimly lit living room as I wiggled my toes in my cozy, pink and white favorite slipper socks that was rested on the brown coffee table.

"Last I checked.... mmm No", I quickly replied as I went back to writing in my notebook.

Imagine...

My lips touch your lovely face

Passion from our first embrace

Pulses which begin to race...

"Well you must be damn it" I heard her say, followed by her smacking my feet off the table.

"Lost yo damn mind got yo feet up there, hell wrong wit you?"

I frowned, closing my notebook and watching my mother clean. I mean it's not like the house was dirty, but she was straightening up and wiping off the small dining room.

"You need to get up and clean..." she spat as she bent her small frame over the table and spraying it with Windex and wiping it with a paper towel.

Heaving a small sigh, I stood up and ran my fingers through my shoulder length hair.

"For what ma?"

"You know Yvette is coming over tonight with Maddie for our card game", she answered me as she stood up straight and looking at me.

"...Oh", I shrugged as I walked over to the wall unit and grabbed the pledge and some paper towels, then spraying the coffee table.

As I wiped the table off, my mom walked over to her record player and put on her favorite singer, Al Green.

Love and happiness

Wait a minute,

Something's going wrong

Someone's on the phone

Three o'clock in the morning

I hummed along to the sweet sound of Al's voice flowing throughout my living room. One thing I loved about living in my house, is I hear some soulful music thanks to my parents.

From the Spinners, Roy Ayers, Marvin Gaye, Al Green himself, Sam Cooke and Earth, Wind and Fire it is no doubt about it that I have an old soul,

"And she bringing her son, what's his face...with the funny shaped head and hair" she said before smacking her lips. "Lawrence"