20-Family?

Rhyon

| Compton, CA |

Thanksgiving

I was finally home for another break. I honestly didn't want to come back but since the university was closed due to the holiday, I didn't have much of a choice but to come home. My dad was home for the holiday and he came to Nevada to bring me back.

My birthday was okay since Melissa and Paris came to visit me and we had a shopping spree. A little retail therapy never hurt anyone right? I bought so much stuff it was ridiculous. I even found an African braiding shop to get some nice braids in my hair. So, between my girls visiting and shopping, I felt a whole lot better.

The aroma of soul food lingered through the house as my mother set the table. I'm not sure if we were still going to other relatives houses later like we normally do, but in honesty I just want to eat and go in my room. I haven't heard from Ren since I went to the clinic but I know Paris told me that she saw him with Kim down on Slauson. He tried to act like he aint see her, but she said she said something to him anyway. she wouldn't tell me what though.

"Mmmmhmmm" my dad hummed as he rubbed his hands together. "This sholl look good as hell baby", he said with a wide grin.

There was a honey glazed turkey, candied yams, collard greens, potato salad, mac and cheese, stuffing, cranberry sauce, buttered rolls with honey spread inside of It, chicken and a host of other soul licking food. I aint even gonna get started on the dessert my mom prepared.

"Yeah, it does smell good as I don't know what huh?", my mom smiled as she set the silverware on the table. "Rhyon, pass me the napkins please"

I snickered as she tried to act like she was so happy that my dad was home. Either she was or she still cheating on him. I rolled my eyes as I picked up the stack of napkins off the kitchen counter and passed it to her. she smiled at me while I gave her a stale face.

"I like that university shirt Rhyon and the sweats to match", my dad grinned. "I see you reppin yo school gon head baby", he cooed as he took a seat at the table.

"Thanks daddy", I laughed genuinely. I am always so happy when my dad comes around. He is really the best dad that a girl can ask for.

We all sat down and blessed the table. I think my mom feels someway because I sat next to my dad and not her. I'm not about to sit here and pretend that everything is copasetic because my dad is home. Yeah, she's my mom but I love her but I don't like her right now.

"How's school been for you honey?", my dad question as he scooped some potato salad.

"Same thing as always. Work, classwork, homework, tests." I dryly responded as I played with the vegetables on my plate.

There was an awkward moment of silence I believe my dad caught up on. He chewed his food before setting his fork on top of the plate and leaning forward in his seat. He wiped his mouth and diverted his eyes back and forth between my mom and me.

"Alright." He started. "What's the issue. Yall got something going on?"

"Ask my mom why we have tension", I smartly challenged, still playing around with the food on my plate.

My mom eyes pierced through my face coldly as she sipped her cup of juice. She sat it down on the table and flared her nostrils.

"Watch yourself young lady", my mother warned me as she shot me a look.