12 - Confessions [part 1 ]

•Rhyon•

Summer 1986

I sat at the dining room table filling out applications. I feel like since it's the summer and I had free time, I could at least get a summer job so I can buy my own school clothes.

Fast food places like Cinnabon, Fat Burger and Wendy's are some of the places I filled out. Even some retail places like Macy's and Dillard's would be cool to work at as well.

It's been some weeks since I spoke to Ren and my mother. Although we live in the same house, I have been ignoring her or staying out at Melissa and Paris place. I don't think I quite want the truth about what I seen some weeks ago,

I heard my mom open the house door. Causing me to gather my papers quickly and standing up. I wasn't quick enough as my mom appeared in the dining room in her pink sundress and oversized Coach bag. Her once curly hair was now straight as if she came from the salon.

"Hello Rhyon", my mom says softly, staring at me.

"Hi", I replied dryly as I pushed my chair In, trying to walk past her.

"Rhyon...Rhyon wait"

My mother put her hand out, gently touching my right shoulder. My eyes scanned to her hand, searching for her wedding ring that wasn't in sight. I bit my bottom lip in anger, avoiding any eye contact with her.

How could she be so selfish?

"Rhyon" she started. "I want to have a talk with you about what happened a couple of weeks ago,".

"I don't want to talk about it", I answered as I continued to avoid eye contact with her.

"No I think we need to talk now", she answered back. "I don't like the awkwardness between us and I feel there is somethings that we need to discuss. Mother and daughter talks"

I paused for a moment and sighed. I really don't want to have this discussion but I need answers. Honestly, this conversation can go either way; one she could bring up the fact that Lorenzo was in my room early in the morning and overlooking the fact that a man that didn't take her hand in marriage was exiting her room or two; I can hear the heart wrenching words of betrayal and adultery she committed against my father.

"Fine", I said as I pulled the brown chair out and taking a seat at the table.

My mother took a seat as well, then scooting closer to the table. She looked down at her hands, which were currently shaking vigorously. I watched her press her nude colored lips together and taking a deep breath.

I sat with my right arm resting on the top of the chair, leaning with no emotion on my face. She just need to stop the dramatics because I am not here for it. I always looked up to my mother, but this is not what I thought role models do.

"I am embarrassed", my mother admitted, making eye contact.

"As you should be" I replied.

"Rhyon...what you saw that morning is not what you think"

"Then who was that strange man coming out of your room?", I questioned as I leaned forward t the table. "That man clearly wasn't my father"

"You're right. He's not your father" she replied with remorse. "But there is somethings you should know"

"You asked me to sit down I am sitting", I replied snottily. "You got me sitting here knowing I don't want to talk to you or about that situation and now you keep saying there's somethings I should know?", I queried while making air quotes with my fingers.