3. Catch Ups

Chapter 3

The day passed in a relaxing manner, as I fell in and out of naps, watching movies and being kept company by Emily. In between my naps, I found myself checking the time and wishing that time would pass by faster. A good hour after the incident and I had felt a lot better, but thought it would be best to lay low since I had passed out. I waited for school to finish, so I could hang out with Embry. Throughout the day, I felt an odd feeling of anxiousness rest at the pit of my stomach for most of the day, but I didn't think it was solely coming from me.

I was helping Emily make some muffins, when the sound of the sliding door opening caught our attention. Sam entered the house quietly and made his way into the front room, his eyes wearily looking between us.

"How are you feeling, Kira?"

"I'm doing okay," I assured him, "Thank you." He nodded.

"I'm sorry for the way he acted. You hadn't done anything wrong, by the way," Sam's tone was gentle and promising, hoping to defuse any hostility that may have risen for his friend. Even though I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, I nodded anyway, wanting to keep the peace with Sam and Emily. He offered me a tight-lipped smile and approached Emily, planting a kiss on the corner of her lips. "He's at home now, took a while to calm him down though." Sam had muttered the words quietly, obviously trying to avoid them from reaching my ears, but failed anyhow.

Suddenly my head snapped in the direction of the porch, where the sound of booming laughter reached my eardrums alerting me of the other boys presence. Jared and Embry entered the house, playfully pushing one another. Jared plonked himself on a chair by the dining table, whereas Embry approached me.

"You feeling better?" He asked me, leaning against the counter beside me. I sent him a grin.

"As good as new" I assured him.

"I heard what happened this morning," Jared loudly piped up from the table, capturing the attention of the room, "And, damn, chose the wrong morning to sleep in. Missed out on all the drama!" Jared teased.

"I'm sure you've learnt a vital life lesson" I replied, narrowing my eyes at him and looking over to Embry, who in return rolled his eyes.

"I have, but it meant I had to listen to this one all day." Jared's eyes playfully looked over at Embry, as he leant back in his chair with a smug grin on his face.

"Shut up," Embry hissed at his friend. "I was more annoyed at Paul, that's all." I nodded unconvincingly. Embry was sweet and it was flattering to see the blush rise in his cheeks.

"Yeah, he's good at making friends" I mumbled, crossing my arms. From the corner of my eye I noticed Emily and Sam exchange a look.

"Well, it seems you and Embry are getting along quite well" Jared teased, his eyebrows lifting suggestively, "I think it's cute." I look at Embry, who was sending Jared daggers.

"You jealous, Jared?" I retorted.