19. Messed Up

Chapter 19

Reading over Jacob's text message for the third time I decided it'd be best to meet his request. I carefully removed myself from the bed, conscious not to make any sudden movements out of concern that Paul would be aroused from his content slumber. I pulled on a pair of shoes and slipped on an oversized hoodie, before leaving the room. Carefully I padded across the hall and down the stairs, hoping that sam wasn't alerted by my movement passed his closed bedroom door. Passing the kitchen towards the back sliding door, I couldn't help but wonder what exactly was so important that Jacob had to meet up in the middle of the night to discuss. There was a small part of me that felt weird about seeing him this late at night, it almost felt like a betrayal to Paul--even if my intentions weren't straying anywhere from simply talking. As quietly as I could, I  unlocked the sliding door and stepped out into the cool La Push air. 

I walked out into the yard and towards the forest line, preparing myself to come face-to-face with Jacob's wolf form as well as his human form. 

"I'm glad you decided to come out." I turned my head to face Jacob as he walked out from behind a tree, sensing my presence. I stuffed my hands in the hoodie pocket and shrugged. 

"You're lucky I heard the notification...must of been in a light sleep" I rambled. 

"I know. I just couldn't sleep after what happened at the bonfire and what happened..." My eyes met his glum gaze. 

"Which part?" 

"Our entire confrontation. Her being there was supposed to be a positive thing, so that she could understand the tribe better and hopefully..." He let out a deep sigh, pushing his hands through his hair with exasperation, showcasing his tired eyes. "But she shouldn't have treated you like that, but she was stressed. The bloodsucker had just left her and she was vulnerable." 

"Is that a reason to slap me?" I couldn't understand why he was still defending her. 

"No," His eyes lifted to meet mine, "But it was confusing. Her possessive nature towards me... I don't know how I feel about this all!" He leant his back against a tree and looked up at the dark sky, as though searching for answers that he desperately needed. As if there were something in the stars that could tell him what went on in Bella's head or what else he could do to save her from her inevitable fate.

"Well, I'm sorry if I was too harsh on her. I didn't mean to be such a bïtch." 

"Yes, you did." A quiet chuckle left his lips, but it didn't feel like he found anything funny. 

"I think you deserve better and I wish you'd stop pining over her. She's caught in the leaches web and she wants to stay there." I insisted, hoping that enough of these words will help him let her go. But I had a feeling these emotions weren't going to simply flutter away, as though one morning he'll just wake up and laugh about it all and move on. This was no high school crush.

"Being a bloodsucker is a terrible life and I care so much about her... I can't see her be turned into a live corpse. It might just break me." I looked up to the sky this time, hoping that I might find some way to put aside my strong dislike to help comfort my friend.